Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

I want to share an editable report but not the underlying data

Hello,

I have share a report with my team, in the underlying data they have view only rights and in the report they have editor rights.  Unfortunately, the rights from the underlying data appear to be taking precedent.  

I have tried moving the report so it is no longer in the same workspace but the editor still only have view access.

Please help!

Thanks

Marian

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Marian

If you want your user to edit the data in the sheet, then they need to have editor rights to that sheet. The Report is really only a "Filtered View of the sheet" through which you can edit the sheet is you have the Right to do so. 

If there is info in that sheet you do NOT wish to share with that user, then either use "Send Update Request" on the rows they should edit for you, or you need to use a System called Appsheet that accesses Smartsheet from any device and enables more control of selected data within a sheet. plus a whole lot more too, but it does solve your issue as well.

Good luck

RichardR

• Dave B
    Dave B ✭✭✭✭✭

Just my two cents - I think's it poor design that you can't share a report with a user who doesn't have access to the sheet itself.   I'm in purchasing and have sheets that contain info on multiple vendors.  Would love to be able to create reports and share them with vendors but no can do since I don't want them having access to the sheet itself.  Bummer. 

• Marian Courtenay
    edited 10/07/16

Hi Dave, I have to say I agree with you.  I was extremly disappointed - i dont want to go down the road of buying apps to get what i need out of smartsheet :(

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Dave

You have no problem sharing Reports with Vendors on a view only basis, that functionality is fundamental to the workflows in Smartsheet. We were talking about Editable Reports in the above, which required Editor rights. :) 

RichardR

• Dave B
    Dave B ✭✭✭✭✭

Richard,

That must be new or a feature only for Team accounts and above.   I recently upgraded to a Team account so I can't for sure, but about a year ago when I had an Advanced account I could not share reports with others unless they have rights to the underlying sheet.

I see now that you are correct, users can access reports in View Only without access to the sheet.  For my uses that's great news!

Dave

This discussion has been closed.