Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

ODBC connector setup on MAC

Options
Jan Moesen
Jan Moesen ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hello Smartsheet

Any news on a possible setup to allow MAC users to configure connectors between Smartsheet and Excel for example?

thank you

Jan

Comments

• Matt Hines
    edited 10/17/16
    Options

While we do use Excel heavily, we also use Google Sheets for some things. Have you looked at that + Zapier to be the in between? I'm not sure what the extent you need the connectivity, but it could be a potential option.

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 10/17/16
    Options

Hi Jan,

The ODBC driver we use is specifically made by Microsoft, and we don't necessarily have control over whether Microsoft will develop a Mac version of their own driver or not. I realize that other companies have made their own versions of the ODBC driver that do have Mac compatability, but at this time, we only use the driver made by Microsoft directly.

I'll pass your feedback along to our Product team for ODBC driver availability on Mac.

• Jan Moesen
    Jan Moesen ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks both Matt and Shaine for the insights! In the meantime I found a helpful colleague with a PC who can manage the connector in the meantime. 

Was thinking to reach out to our Citrix team whether they could install it within that Citrix environment but this may overcomplicate things. Anybody experience with such a setup and if possible at all?

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

There's also the posibility of using a localized virtual machine (via a Mac application such as VMware), or to use your Mac's bootcamp assistant to install Windows on a separate partition of your computer's hard drive. 

• Matt Hines
    Options

Good point. Since Mac Excel is not good, we actually run Parallels with Windows 10 and Excel 2016. The performance difference is significant. We've had really good success running Excel in this fashion. Then you should be able to gain the ODBC you're looking for.

• Scott Willeke
    Options

Jan, Matt:

Could you elaborate more on exactly what you're doing today between Smartsheet and Excel and what you aspire to do?  Help me undrstand things like where the data starts (Excel or Smartsheet) what direction it flows, is it two-way, etc.

Also, what do you do with the data when it is in Excel that you cannot do in Smartsheet? Is there something we could do in Smartsheet so that you wouldn't need Excel?

Thanks for your feedback!

Scott Willeke | Smartsheet
    Sr. Product Manager, Strategic Integrations

This discussion has been closed.