Size and format of PDF exports/prints

Options
conex
conex
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello, everybody,

We have been using Smartsheet for some time and love this tool (changed from MS Project). However, the PDF export is not adequate for the rest of the tool.

It seems that Smartsheet can only export/print PDFs as images, not as vectorized PDF. As a result, the file size of the generated PDFs is simply too large and you cannot copy any text from the PDF. Or have we missed an option to change this?

If not, this would be priority 1 on our wish list.

Best regards

Jan

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Jan,

Unfortunately, as far as I know, it's not possible at the moment to have it any other way, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• conex
    Options

Hi there,

I have posted an enhancement request, but never got a feedback. Is there any solution planned?

The PDF export is really not sufficient at the moment. The Gantt chart for my current main project for example results in a 8,85MB big PDF file, if I export it from smartsheet, and this without any picture, logo, ... included.

Best,

Jan

• conex
    Options

Hi,

I have to specify or correct my post: the problem is not, that smartsheet doesn't create vectorized PDFs, but text is also exported as vectors and not as text. That's the reason why you can't copy anything from a smartsheet PDF (except the document title and the footer) and why the exportet PDFs are times bigger than exports from MS Project, GanttPro, etc.

Exporting text as text to a PDF should be easy to change and would reduced file size a lot.

Any plans for that?

Best,

Jan

• Kalen
    Kalen ✭✭
    Options

Is there an update on this? In my case, an 800 line schedule in no way should turn into a 10MB pdf. This is another severe deficiency of Smartsheet and it needs to be addressed.