Calculating Percent of Percentages

noclue
noclue ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I think this should be easy but I keep getting "divide by zero" error. I just need to find the total percent complete using percents from 6 different columns (same row) on a sheet. 

Ex:  C1     C2     C3     C4     C5     C6     C7     C8     C9    C10    TOTAL:

100%         100%          50%   100%          80%            20% 

Thanks!!

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • noclue
    noclue ✭✭
    edited 11/27/19

I used this formula in a check box on another sheet:

=100*(COUNTIFS([FW % Complete]13:[FW % Complete]24, 1) / COUNT([FW % Complete]13:[FW % Complete]24)) + "%"

I just need to know a total percent complete. Thanks!

this_0.PNG

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ok. Because of the formula you used, the % Complete is actually producing a text string. We need to convert that to a number first before being able to use it in calculations. That's why I asked how the current % Completes were being generated.

To do this, you have two options. Either you can use a handful of extra helper columns with simple formulas, or you can use a single column with a more complex formula.

Extra helper columns solution:

One additional for each % Complete. I will just replicate column names based on your original post. The helper columns would be titled:

[C1 Helper]

[C2 Helper]

[C3 Helper]

so on and so forth.

The formula to pull the number from [C1] into the [C1 Helper] would be

=VALUE(SUBSTITUTE([C1]@row, "%", ""))

You would update this for the rest of the helper columns.

Now that you have numerical values to work with, you can use this in your [TOTAL:] column:

=ROUND(AVG([C1 Helper]@row:[C10 Helper]@row)) + "%"

Single Column Solution:

You would use a SUM function and enter the individual SUBSTITUTE functions as the values, then divide it by the total count.

=ROUND(SUM(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE([C1]@row, "%", "")), VALUE(SUBSTITUTE([C2]@row, "%", "")), VALUE(SUBSTITUTE([C3]@row, "%", "")), ................................................................................................................................................................................................, VALUE(SUBSTITUTE([C10]@row, "%", ""))) / 10) + "%"

• noclue
    noclue ✭✭

Worked great! Thanks!