Sumifs formula for children rows if meet a certain criteria (using sheet reference)

Crystal Panning
Crystal Panning ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi, 

I am looking for a formula to use in my metric sheet to sum the children rows that meet a certain criteria. I have tried everything I could think of and have had no luck. I have my source sheet with the parent/children rows, and then a separate metric sheet I am using to put the formulas in and referencing my source sheet. Do I need to add some helper rows to my source sheet to do this? 

I need to sum the children rows in Column A, if the criteria in the grandchildren rows (column B) = X

Any help is appreciated. 

Thank you,

Crystal 

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You will need a helper column or two on the source sheet for this.

I would suggest one that displays the level of hierarchy using a formula such as

=COUNT(ANCESTORS([Column Name]@row))

Then you can use that as an additional range/criteria in your metrics sheet.

Parent rows will have a value of 0.

Children = 1

Grandchildren = 2

Great Grandchildren = 3

so on and so forth...

• Crystal Panning
    Crystal Panning ✭✭✭✭

Hi Paul, 

Thank you. I added a helper hierarchy row to the source sheet and used it as an additional range, but still didn't work. I need to sum the numbers in the child row, but the criteria for that sum is in the grandchildren row. Is that why it isn't working? 

I need to get the sums of the numbers in column A if the rest of the criteria is met.

sum the totals in column A-child row, if column B- grandchildren row has a value of X

Any additional thoughts? 

Thank you,

Crystal 

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My apologies. I misread your original post.

Use a helper column on the source sheet with an IF statement in it along the lines of...

=IF(CHILDREN([Column B]@row) = "X", [Column A]@row)

If you put this in the parent rows, you can use the IF to determine your criteria and populate the value from Column A if the criteria matches.

Then your Metrics sheet would just sum this helper column.