Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Assigning a number with a formula

Tiare Rose
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I am creating a PO System. When I enter the name of who is making the request I want to assign a number to this person. 

This is what I have so far. 

=IF(Request1 = "Greg", 1)

When i try to add to that I get #UNPARSEABLE

=IF(Request1 = "Greg", 1), IF(Request1 = "Bill", 2)

what am i doing wrong?

Comments

• Brett Evans
    Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You have to include the second conditional insed the first set of paretheses.

=IF(Request1 = "Greg", 1, IF(Request1 = "Bill", 2))

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Tiare,

You could also create a List of people in ta Dashboar area at the top of the sheet with a number in the ajacent cell and then use a Lookup function rather than nesting a load of ifs.  You will find that that would probably be quicker and have less overhead on the sheet performance.

• Francesca Soli
    edited 11/28/16

Hi, I tried to use this formula and it works for my purpose. However, in certain cases the number assigned should start with a zero and SS ignores it. Is there a way to solve this issue? Thanks.

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Francesca

If you used the Formula method then in the  the formula enter "02" or if that does not work tru "'02".

The apostraphy should force it to treat it as Text.

Note if you sort data in this column and some entries are Text and some are Numbers you may get what appears to incorrect sorts.

This discussion has been closed.