Ad Hoc Update Request Screen

Ramsay Zaki
Ramsay Zaki ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/18/19 in Smartsheet Basics

The Update Request form (the actual link that a user goes to from their email) is a nice and clean way to update rows. However, in order to utilize that clean form, an actual Update Request must be sent. Moreover, once the update request has been executed, that link is no longer valid.

Is there any way to give users a nice way to update specific fields like the update request form whenever they want (i.e. not only when an update request for the row is first triggered)?

My Use Case for this is Project Status Updates. I have 5 specific fields (of many more in the row) that I want the Project Manager to update. I don't like the "look and feel" of them updating this via a Report or Sheet. And, I cannot add the fields to a Dashboard because you cannot update directly from there. Instead, it would be nice if I could give them a link which they can go any whenever they want to give their update.

Of course, I could send an Automated Update request on a recurring basis. But, the PM would then need to wait for that recurring date/time to trigger before they could go in and give their update.

I also considered doing something with the Smartsheet API. For example, on the Smartsheet dashboard, putting a button which would trigger a Microsoft Flow automation which would instantly create an Update Request (via the API). But... there is no way for me to immediately pull the update request URL from the API. Instead, it only sends the email to the user for them to then click on the update request link. That technically fits my requirements for allowing the user to initiate an update request themselves but it is a pretty clunky and overly technical solution.

Answers