Dashboard Metrics Widget - Date Formatting

Ramsay Zaki
Ramsay Zaki ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When I add a Metric Widget to my dashboard, it isn't honoring the date formatting I have in the source sheet. I have my dates appearing as Apr 12, 2020 in the sheet but in the metric widget it appears as 04/12/20 and there doesn't seem to be any way for me to fix it (even though I have selected "use cell formatting" in the widget setup).

Am I doing something wrong?

Best Answer

Answers

• Ramsay Zaki
    Ramsay Zaki ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. I don't like using workarounds like that because I have found formulas are not 100% reliable when adding new rows (i.e. they don't always copy down properly). I need something that is foolproof. Plus, from a visibility perspective, it clutters up the sheet and doesn't keep it clean. Not a nice user experience.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As long as either two rows above or two rows below contain the formula, it should autofill as new rows are added/inserted.

If the formula is autofilling but changing when it does, then you may want to look at the formula itself. I find that using @row instead of actual row numbers (when possible) really helps.

I also "Hide" my help columns to keep the sheet from looking cluttered.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Ramsay,

Another option would be the third-party service, Zapier. Is that an option for you?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hey there -

A workaround I've found is to use a formula in my source sheet to display the date with the format I want e.g. 01-Jan-2024

Converting this to a Column formula will ensure reliability when you add rows

The formula is below, just replace "[Your Column Date]@Row" with your Date Column :

=(DAY([Your Column Date]@Row) + "-" + IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 1, "Jan", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 2, "Feb", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 3, "Mar", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 4, "Apr", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 5, "May", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 6, "Jun", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 7, "Jul", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 8, "Aug", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 9, "Sep", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 10, "Oct", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 11, "Nov", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 12, "Dec")))))))))))) + "-" + YEAR([Your Column Date]@Row))

I hope this helps :)

Best,

Florian

Thanks and kind regards,

Florian N