Inventory Check-out/Check-in

Deanna Vandermeer
Deanna Vandermeer Overachievers Alumni

I am curious if it is possible to use Smartsheet to help manage an equipment inventory. We are wanting to be able to barcode (or QR code) the equipment and once the equipment is checked out we could scan the code and possibly their badge ID info and have it input the date it was checked out. Then set up automation for reminders when the equipment is due to be checked back in. I have downloaded both templates from the Solution Center (Barcode Inventory Management and Inventory Management) but am wondering if this is the way to go or if we have to look for other solutions. Has anyone used Smartsheet for inventory control? Can anyone offer suggestions or possible ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Smartsheet Overachievers Alumni

Best Answer

• Alejandra
    Alejandra Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi Deanna, 

I definitely think this is possible! After you've modified the template so that it includes the fields you need, I would suggest creating a new row for each inventory item and its barcode. You might also want to consider locking the columns containing the inventory name and barcode so that only a licensed sheet admin can make changes to those fields if needed. The rest of your workflow could look something like this:

1. Using the barcode icon in the search bar, take a picture of the inventory item's barcode with your mobile device (this will display all the rows with that barcode)
    2. Select the row and edit the appropriate fields like name and checkout date for example. Note: the checkout date can be manually entered into a date column, or you could consider using the Modified Date System Column. However, keep in mind, the Modified Data System column will automatically update when anything in the row changes.
    3. When the inventory item is brought back, you could clear appropriate fields so that the next person's information can be entered

You could also have an estimated return date column that's used to trigger your alert. You can automatically calculate the return date by using a formula like this: =[Checkout Date]@row + 7. More information on how to create a time-based automated workflow can be found here.

Also, if you're looking for a more specialized form of consulting, we have an in-house consulting team: https://www.smartsheet.com/consulting 

I hope this helps!

Answers

• Alejandra
    Alejandra Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi Deanna, 

I definitely think this is possible! After you've modified the template so that it includes the fields you need, I would suggest creating a new row for each inventory item and its barcode. You might also want to consider locking the columns containing the inventory name and barcode so that only a licensed sheet admin can make changes to those fields if needed. The rest of your workflow could look something like this:

1. Using the barcode icon in the search bar, take a picture of the inventory item's barcode with your mobile device (this will display all the rows with that barcode)
    2. Select the row and edit the appropriate fields like name and checkout date for example. Note: the checkout date can be manually entered into a date column, or you could consider using the Modified Date System Column. However, keep in mind, the Modified Data System column will automatically update when anything in the row changes.
    3. When the inventory item is brought back, you could clear appropriate fields so that the next person's information can be entered

You could also have an estimated return date column that's used to trigger your alert. You can automatically calculate the return date by using a formula like this: =[Checkout Date]@row + 7. More information on how to create a time-based automated workflow can be found here.

Also, if you're looking for a more specialized form of consulting, we have an in-house consulting team: https://www.smartsheet.com/consulting 

I hope this helps!