Exclude Rows when Sending Alert

Exclude Rows when Sending Alert

Hello,

I'm deep into automation and I want to say it's a brilliant technology. I'm not writing emails anymore to clients who submit forms to confirm their registration or further instructions. All this is done in Automation.

All I want to know is if there is a way to send the alert (email) without displaying all the rows?

Thank you. 😎

Best Answer

Answers

• Wow....That's the deal. Thank You.

• Hi Andree

I've tested the solution and it works excellent! The email looks very professional and no columns or rows are displayed.

However, the Sheet Title and and other information that is not relevant to the recipient/client is shown below the email content.

Most irrelevant and bothersome is this one:

"You are receiving this email because you are subscribed to a workflow "OFCS - PrePaid Registration Form Received" (ID# 2585764627277700) on sheet ONCE-OFF SERVICEYour notifications include changes made by you. Exclude your changes from all notifications

Don't want to receive this notification? Unsubscribe "

Is it possible to remove the above information and any other information that shows below the email content?

Thank you again.

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment to have your vote added

The third-party service, Zapier, is an excellent option for this scenario. Is that an option for you?

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

• Thank you . I was using Zapier 2 years ago. We had a fallout.

Happy to help!

What happened?

Have a look and see if you can patch things up! 😂 

A lot has happened with Zapier during two years.

Best,

Andrée Starå

• The fallout was due to unacceptable level of poor support and unreliable and unprofessional response to some false alerts. I agree a lot has happened but I dont think I can go there again. We've got the might Smartsheet and the likes of you where we know all issues will be addressed at some point. Thank you.

Ok. That's understandable!

And, thanks for the kind words!

There are other third-party options if you need/want to explore those.

Let me know!

Best,

Andrée Starå

• Hi Andree

I shall very much appreciate if you can make recommendations for other third party solution. Main focus being to auto send clean and professional looking emails to clients when certain change are made in smartsheet.

Thank you in advance.

• Hi Director62476,

If you use Office 365, I would highly recommend you try Power Automate (renamed from Microsoft Flow). There is a connector for Smartsheet, and it appears to me to work a bit better than the Zapier connector. I have tried a Zap to monitor for changes in a Smartsheet, and my Zap would be blocked because when a row is inserted, the rowid for every subsequent row changes, and so the Zap would fire a multitude of times 😯

Regards,

Andrew

@director62476 I agree with Andrew, Power Automate is another excellent option so test that one first and let me know if you need additional options.

@Andrew Stewart I don't know when you tested Zapier last, but it's now easy to structure it, so that doesn't happen.

Best,

Andrée Starå

• Thank you Andrew...

Thank You Andree, I shall test the Power Automate.

@director62476

Excellent!

I'm always happy to help!

Let us know how it goes!

Best,

Andrée Starå

• Hi @Andrew Stewart and @Andrée Starå

May I take advantage of your experience with the Power Automate. I went to the microsoft site and registered for the application, but then the presentation is very confusing with many other products.

Is there any possible way that you can direct me in a kinda step by step as to the exact product and the implementation thereof for the purpose discuss herein?

Just to reiterate - I need to send clean looking emails/alerts to subscribers/clients through smartsheet workflow.

Thank you in advance.

• Hi @director62476,

Following @Andrée Starå 's comment on Zapier, I had another look, and in limited testing could not reproduce the same issue again. Between the two products, I think the Microsoft one may be a little bit more configurable, but is certainly MUCH more complex to configure. Rather like Windows v Mac OS.

While I am not in a position to do a full walkthrough (you can probably find something on Youtube or the Zapier site) what I ended up with was the following 4 stage Zap (which incidentally is pretty close to what you want).

The first step is triggered when a row in a sheet is updated, the second step is is a condition that ignores if the [Mail Sent] column in the row is already set, the third sends an email from my Office 365 account (you could use Gmail if you prefer) using data from the Smartsheet row and static html content I typed in), the fourth step updates the [Mail Sent] column in the row so that I have an audit trail and also to prevent the email being send a second time if another update triggers the Zap again.

I hope this is enough to get you going.

Doing the same in Flow/Power Automate is also possible.

By the way, @Andrée Starå thanks for the effort you put into helping others in the Smartsheet Community Forum. I have found you have already answered many of the questions I was just about to ask!

• Thank you @Andrew Stewart

I really appreciate your efforts, but just hearing the name Zapier brings tears to my eyes. My time with Zapier was horrible and I suffered great losses. I understand technology has improved and they might be the best solution but I cannot overcome the bad memories of utter frustration that I went though. I can vouch that as a system Zapier worked great and we totally relied on its efficiency. It became the life of our business, but for some reason as it happens from time to time with great application, there was a glitch in the system. Properly working Zaps just went haywire without anybody even login into the Zapier platform or creating or changing Zaps. Unfortunately whoever was in support would not accept that it was a system glitch and actually cooked us alive. The parting was like a world war. Only the support person survived without a scar, we were dismembered.

Right now I'm on the verge of mastering Smartsheet Workflow....this thing is for real, it has taken over a lot of tasks including marketing. The only little thing that I believe will be resolved very soon is the removal of the information below the email. I believe it will be sorted out because automated emails sent by Smartsheet to us (like Smartheet Daily Mail) do not have these unnecessary and irrelevant information)

Screenshot 1. My Test Email to Clients

Screenshot 2 - Smartsheet Daily Mail.

@Andrew Stewart Thanks for the kind words! I'm always happy to help!

@director62476 I'd recommend submitting an enhancement request to have more options with the design of the notifications and more.

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment to have your vote added

Best,

Andrée Starå

• Hi @Andrée Starå I have already submitted the request about a week ago. I'm hoping that you have done the same? Thank you