Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Use-Case: Team Collaboration using "Permissioned Custom Views"

Options
T. Steere
T. Steere
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Team Collaboration: "Permissioned Custom Views" Use-Case?

1. Use Case:
  2. 1. I am running a User Acceptance Test project. I need to store all Test Cases/Test Case Information in a 'Master Sheet' that is permissioned at a 'Project Administrator' level. At the "Administrator Level" all test case records would be created and administered within this single ‘master sheet’.

3. 2. With #1 as the starting point, I need to create customized views – akin to creating a custom filter – where I can select specific rows and columns, then save this selection set as a ‘fixed custom view’.
  4. 3. From #2, I need to be able to apply collaborator permissions so that Collaborators with permissions for each view, see ONLY that view when logging into the 'view' link provided by the Administrator.
  5. 4. From #3, Collaborators can view, edit, update, & save the items in their ‘permissioned view’* only.  
  6. Using multiple different views from a common ‘master sheet’, users with Administrator permissions can use a single worksheet as the source of truth and single source of data administration while allowing multiple collaborators to see and update ‘only their data’.

*Assuming the basis of the model outlined above can be implemented, then to account for instances where row & column data might be common across two or more differently-permissioned views, the Administrator could take steps to allow for ‘different teams differently updating common records at the ‘master sheet’ level.

While SmartSheet ordinarily accommodates this type of change, for the model described above if it would help keep initial implementations simpler, the following method could be used:

1.        where row & column data is identified as having common records, then the Master Sheet Administrator would replicate each record set for each separately permissioned view.

2.        In this way, records that would otherwise be ‘single sets’ in the Master Sheet view will be allowed to proliferate ‘by custom view’ to accommodate for ‘per custom view differences’. The Administrator could tag records or data sets ‘by custom view name’ or ‘permissioned team’ to track results across these replicated records in the Master Sheet view.

3.       Downside: This approach may create additional overhead when Administering and reporting against these ‘multiples’ from the Master Sheet level
Upside: The Administrator could leverage these data elements
to identify key differences ‘By View’, ‘By Permissioned Users’, or other criteria. These could then be exploited/communicated in BI report visualizations, dashboards, and could even influence end-state design changes from User Testing Use-Case.

Comments

• Robin Sherwood
    Robin Sherwood Employee
    edited 11/10/16
    Options

T. Steve, 

Thanks for the detailed use case. I'm wondering a couple of things. Could a similar affect be achieved by limiting edit/updates to "stuff i'm assigned to?" So a new permission level that only allows uers to edit rows they have been assigned? 

We are currently working on a couple of saved filter features that will help as well. The first is the ability to set the default filter users see when the first access a sheet. The second is the ablity to filter assignements by current user, meaning whomever is looking at the sheet sees only tasks assigned to them. This secondary filter will also be available in reports starting Saturday. So you could use reporting to create your "views" 

As for your 'master rows' vs 'common records' couldn't you use a master list as more of a base template? Use an autonumber field to give your test cases a uniqe ID in the master list. Then instead of trying to keep it in sync... copy all of those rows for a specific view to a new sheet. This new sheet now represents the "view" Now lock the TestCaseID in the new sheet. You can use this ID to sort on in reporting so that your master rows show up next to your child rows pulling records from your master list and the new child copy you created. Its just as much work as your.

Hope that helps!

Robin

• Johnathan Dias
    Options

+1

Custom Views within the sheet would be a wonderful addition, and save LOTS of headaches.

OR...

If Reports is the direction you want customers with multiple users to lean more towards, add features like alerts/notifications and hierarchy to reports.

Either one would be a major win for Smartsheets.

• Tony Coleman
    Options

I'd certainly vote up the feature for Custom Views.   In my project log, where all actions, risks, decisions etc are controlled, I have various columns.  Depending on the activity I then have to sort and hide certain criteria to filter the list down and bring forward the more relevant columns..

This discussion has been closed.