Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Removing a row from Resource Management when marked Complete?

Options
Sarah Lishin
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I have a to-do list that is tied into my resources - but once the task is complete I'd like it removed from the resource view - preferably by checking a box ('Complete').

Is this possible?

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nope.

And probably won't be (I would guess).

If we take only a single day view and there is a person with 8 x 1 hour tasks then they would / should show as 100% occupied.

If they complete the first task, then that would drop to 87.5% and someone might come along and ask why they weren't 'fully loaded' or give them another task to do.

This one is tricky -- and I don't have a good solution springing to mind except to remove them from the assignment.

Craig

• Sarah Lishin
    Options

Yes - that is what I have been doing. 

We want this user to show when they do have free time, as these are additional tasks that are being spread over a team.

Thanks.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That sounds like an Agile process.

And an interesting one.

If you are using Alerts, you aren't going to want a solution that does away with the Assigned To column (you might if that feature set is not being used much - as Contact List types don't allow formulas)

I assume your tasks spread over several sheets which makes Resource View more powerful.

There's a whole host of questions to ask before I would venture a solution.

Craig

• Sarah Lishin
    Options

Yes - we have over 100 sheets currently that relate to different porject in different phases. 

We have alerts enabled in some location (master lists for example), but our users were complaining that they were receive too many alerts pert day - totally understandable.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 11/10/16
    Options

Hi Sarah,

There isn't a way to automatically remove a user from assignment on a task once you check the task off as completed but I've got your vote down for this on our enhancement request list for further consideration.

One way I could think of handling this is to use a third party integration, such as with zapier or azuqua, and create a workflow in such integration that moves the row to another sheet entirely once the box is checked. The other sheet will need to have resource management disabled, so they won't appear as allocated in your views.

• Sarah Lishin
    Options

Shaine - Thanks.

We need to keep the tasks on the same sheet for this specific item, but we do use zapier for some other items. 

On a side note - it would be really nice to have the option to assign hours instead of a percentage to a task. If I needed 8 hours of work, over 4 days, right now I have to do the math for allocation percentage, which is easy, but time comsuming when assiging large projects. And the ability to assign to a group would be amazing. 

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Sarah, thanks for the additional input. I've passed along your feedback along for more finetuned Effort controls and assigning groups in Resource Management.

• Add my vote to the list as well. We're managing manpower forecasts and would like an automatic way to remove projects once they are 100% complete by our field staff.

This discussion has been closed.