Why are blank rows added when submitting a form?

When a form is submitted, it adds the data several rows below the last data entered. I do have an auto-numbering column, and wondered if that causes a problem?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Tammy,

It’s probably not the autonumbering that’s causing it. Try deleting the extra rows and save and then try submitting the form again.

Did it work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer! 

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

To expand on Andree's correct advice...

You can't just delete the data out of the extra rows, you need to delete the rows themselves. If a form is set to insert new entries at the bottom of the sheet, it will go the the first UNUSED row and not necessarily the first blank row. Hope that helps explain the "why" of it.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• I am having this issue as the OP defined it. I deleted all of the blank rows after the last submittal. A new form was submitted last week and there are about 20 blank rows between entry 12 and 13. I also am using an automatic numbering process for each submittal.

Have any solutions to this problem been identified?

Thank you,

• Huzzah!!! I needed to delete EVERY SINGLE EMPTY ROW and Poof! It works!

• M_Ben
    M_Ben ✭✭

Is the only solution to keep deleting the blank rows? I also get good results when I delete every blank row, but the issue always appears again at some point. Does anyone know what is causing it?

It doesn't appear to to be related to my form submissions, because my new entries appear at the top of my list, and I only notice blanks rows from time to time depending on how my list is sorted. I can keep deleting them when they appear, but is there a way to prevent it?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @M_Ben

I hope you're well and safe!

There will always be 10 extra rows at the bottom.

Sometimes a row can look empty, but it has been activated. The simplest way to solve if you have any issue is to delete all the empty rows.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

To add to Andree's response... Make sure you are actually deleting the row itself using the row options and not just deleting the data out of the cells in the row(s).

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Barry Bowles
    Barry Bowles ✭✭✭✭

I hear the repeated advice that Smartsheet always adds 10 blank rows to sheets and to just delete the rows ( and it does cause problems and its driving me nuts after deleting them 6 times from the same sheet in pasyt 2 days) but no-one is saying WHY?

Why does smartsheet add 10 blank rows? - it seems ludicrous to just tell users to delete the blank rows when they occur, especially if adding those rows actually has a function because deleting them would countermand that functionality and that would be bad advice.

what functionality does adding 10 blank rows achieve? -

anyone?

Smartsheet staff?

• Neil Watson
    Neil Watson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Barry Bowles we use forms in mutie sheets, adding to the bottom and have not experienced this before. Is it worth copying all the existing records to a new sheet and after deleting all rows, bringing them back to see whether the issue is resolved?

• Jason Duryea
    Jason Duryea ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve had form submissions add blank rows, then the next form submission will appear after these blank rows.

Yes, Smartsheet does keep 10 blank rows at the bottom of the Sheet. However, the random blank rows added between form submissions (I believe) comes from the user copy & pasting text into the form which contains some sort of character that is causing the problem.

I know text with bullet points will likely cause this, but there may be other special characters as well. It might be hidden formatting characters that the problem.