Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Counting Rows

Options
Gina Ward
Gina Ward
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I have a list of projects divided into sections.  Each section can have projects that have sub projects.  When I use this formula on a section header ="Current(" +COUNT(CHILDREN()) + ")" my result looks like this: Current (24).  However, the count does not include the sub tasks.  How can I write the formula so that it will include sub tasks as well?

Comments

• Andrew DeCounter
    edited 11/16/16
    Options

Greetings Gina,

A couple of suggestions...

1. Create another column that performs the following formula: =COUNT(ANCESTORS()) in each cell and hide it. Any result with Count(Ancestors()) > 0 is a child object in heirarchy. You could then write a COUNTIF formula, such as =COUNTIF([Column3]:[Column3],>1) to determine the number of child objects you might have.

2. If you only want to count the Child tasks, and not the sub-headers for those sections, you may want to consider writting a couple of formulas in each sub-header/parent column: =COUNT(CHILDREN()) & from there running a SUM() on those cells.

Hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.