Topic: Move Record Issue: Downstream Receiving Table Column Formulas will not stick on incom. recrd

Hi Team, I have move record functionality in my tables, and for some reason, the incoming records coming into my tables will not inherit the formulas on the columns... even when I have two template records hidden on each sheet which I need this to happen... the template records formula from the accepting table is EXACTLY the same as the input table for which the records are being received. For some odd reason, only the static data from which the input tables calculations are the only thing that seems to carry, and will not allow the formula inheritance of the same column in the accepting table.

Can some one please help me with this?

the formulas exhibit the @row feature and the accepting table has two records which already exhibit the formulas in the column (copied across the records of that column).

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Michael,

Are you using any formulas that reference Sheet Summary?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree, so the way it works is this. people input the record through a form into table 01 sample receiving. then the record moves to table 02 then to table 03 and then it moves to a corresponding week table (week 01 ... week 52). as soon as the records move from 01 to 02, the formulas which I set up against two template records in the downstream tables.. do not stick.. and when they get to Week 01 through week 52... it just copied the static values.. I have done some testing and found this happens only when records are moved from table 01 sample receiving to 02 box assignment. ( have this set up this way because I plan on using this application at many laboratories and the worst case scenario is that they will deploy box numbers and a different method later on in their journey towards process harmonization.

screen shot 1 - 01 receiving table - those in yellow are the fields which are calculating.. the one which is being shared via the hover is the most complicated calc... the others are just like =Month([expiration date]@row) type calcs (in sheet calculations) but when records move from table 01 to table 02... the records which move do not adopt the calculations and only keep the static data which was derived from the first table prior to the move.

screen shot 2 - 02 box assignment you can see here that it did not adopt the calculations from above.. it just moved the static value only.

the tables 03 and weeks 01 through week 52 are all exactly the same setup as table 02 in the screen shot 2. I have shared my workspace with you via email.

thanks so much..

Michael

• also.. my formulas in the cells do not reference a summary sheet.

• was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why cell linking and formulas are not being adopted when records move from one table to the next through automation?

i cant seem to get this to work...

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/21/20

Glad we figured out why it didn't work.

For everyone else.

The reason was that when the row was moved to sheet 2 there were already data in the column from sheet 1 so the formulas in sheet 2 could not auto-fill.

Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Michael Gerdes
    Michael Gerdes ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

yes... thank you Andree you helped find the answer as to why it would no do that... this appears to be something that can not be done (yet) ;)...... Thanks Team...

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/21/20

@Michael Gerdes

You're more than welcome!

I'm always happy to help!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!