Update Requests - advanced fields selected - their sequence

Not sure if I am going mad (or already there) but I thought when creating an automated update request -> selecting advanced options -> selecting fields to be displayed that...... the fields appeared in the sequence they were selected.

However, this week, when the update request is received the fields are in the sequence of the columns in the smartsheet.

Has something changed?

Regardless - how do I select the sequence of the fields to appear in the update request as a work flow early on in the processes has different priority fields to an update request in a later work flow.

e.g. initially the Status field is not prominent as just asking for more information but later, when decision are being made, the status field must be changed and my users are finding it hard to find amongst all the necessary displayed information.

Usually I would display the "information" fields first with the fields I would really like updated at the end - scrolling up and down they are likely to miss key fields especially as we are unable to make then "required /mandatory"

So hoping you smart bunch can help me as I'm sure to missing the obvious😎

Many thanks in anticipation of your help

Sue

Sue Rogers

AmerisourceBergen - MWI Animal Health

Business Analyst

Best Answer

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I took Andee's advice and any data I wanted to show, but not have amended, I have put in the body of the email using the {{fieldname}} functionality - which actually works brilliantly as it protects the fields from change.

for example - "This update is essential to progress the investigation.The details so far are:

PDOL PO Number = {{PDOL PO Number}}

Date Reported = {{PDOL Date Reported}}

Reported By = {{PDOL Name of Reporter}}

Email = {{PDOL Email of Reporter}}

MWI SKU Code (if known) = {{MWI SKU Code}}

Product Description = {{MWI Product Description}}

Error Type = {{PDOL Error Type}}

Error Reported = {{PDOL Error Reported}}

Tote number (if known) = {{Tote no.}}

Pick list number (if known) = {{Pick List Number}}

MWI Reported to Inventory = {{MWI Reported to Inventory for checking}}

Updated by = {{MWI Updated By}}

Updated on = {{MWI Updated On}}

I then only select 5 fields to be displayed on the form for the user to potentially update

This now gives just a few fields each time that I am requesting updates for so the users seem able to find (and not miss) them easily.

My fields always re-sequence into the order they appear (left to right) in the Smartsheet grid view and I now take this into account when designing, wherever possible.

I have put in an enhancement request for this and to be able to design the update request form along the lines of the Smartform

Hope this helps

Sue

Sue Rogers

Business Analyst

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Sue,

Unfortunately, as far as I know, it's not possible at the moment to reorder the fields in any way except moving the columns around, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

As a possible workaround, you could use placeholders instead to show the information that doesn't need to be updated or use another column to join the information together.

Make sense?

Would any of those options work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• sandy_shore
    sandy_shore ✭✭
    edited 03/29/20

Hello,

I am experiencing the same problem for a process I am building out. I tried re-ordering the columns, but the sequence of fields changes to a random order (at least within the automation set-up screen) after I save the automation and go back to check. Any advice?

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I took Andee's advice and any data I wanted to show, but not have amended, I have put in the body of the email using the {{fieldname}} functionality - which actually works brilliantly as it protects the fields from change.

for example - "This update is essential to progress the investigation.The details so far are:

PDOL PO Number = {{PDOL PO Number}}

Date Reported = {{PDOL Date Reported}}

Reported By = {{PDOL Name of Reporter}}

Email = {{PDOL Email of Reporter}}

MWI SKU Code (if known) = {{MWI SKU Code}}

Product Description = {{MWI Product Description}}

Error Type = {{PDOL Error Type}}

Error Reported = {{PDOL Error Reported}}

Tote number (if known) = {{Tote no.}}

Pick list number (if known) = {{Pick List Number}}

MWI Reported to Inventory = {{MWI Reported to Inventory for checking}}

Updated by = {{MWI Updated By}}

Updated on = {{MWI Updated On}}

I then only select 5 fields to be displayed on the form for the user to potentially update

This now gives just a few fields each time that I am requesting updates for so the users seem able to find (and not miss) them easily.

My fields always re-sequence into the order they appear (left to right) in the Smartsheet grid view and I now take this into account when designing, wherever possible.

I have put in an enhancement request for this and to be able to design the update request form along the lines of the Smartform

Hope this helps

Sue

Sue Rogers

Business Analyst

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SueinSpain

Excellent!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Remember! Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@sandy_shore

Hi Sandy,

Let me know if you have any questions or if the method described doesn’t work for you.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Marc Hauge
    Marc Hauge ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a work around for update requests. This should solve the issue for you.