Multiselect checkbox

Ok so here is the logic I'm working on right now. The formula for A, B, and C is the same all you have to do is swap out "A", with "B", and so on.

=IF(CONTAINS("A", [Dropdown Test]1), 1, 0)

What I'm trying to figure out is the formula for the A & B, B & C, and A & C. Meaning when I select A & B I want both flags for A & B to be checked.

Thanks!

Greg

Best Answers

Answers

• Greg Hjertager
    edited 03/09/20

Thanks that helped! Now on to the follow up question.

I'm building a runbook that updates based on the type of release that we want to do. We have some releases that are done on mobile platforms (Apple, Android, etc...) and others that are done on non-mobile platforms. I've got things hooked up in my Smartsheet so that if any of individual platforms are selected then that portion of the runbook activates (Status changes to "Not Started" otherwise its "N/A"). What I want to do is have two catch-all selections "Mobile Releases" and "Other Platforms".

In this case I want to be able to select "Mobile Platforms" and have the "Apple" and "Android" sections activate in the runbook, opposed to having to individually select them.

What I can't figure out is how to add in the If the "Mobile Platforms" is checked to the following If statement

=IF(iOS1 = 1, "Not Started", "N/A") Specifically I want to add =IF([Mobile Platforms]1 = 1, "Not Started", "N/A") to the previous statement.

The outcome I want is that if I select "iOS" then the "iOS" portion of the runbook activates. However, if I check "Mobile Platforms" I want both "iOS" and "Android" to activate.

I hope that makes sense.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry. I'm not sure I follow. What do you mean by "runbook"?

• A Runbook is a series of tasks that need to be completed for (in my case) a release to go out. Think of using excel that has 20 tasks broken up into groups of 5. Here's my example.

1. iOS = 5 tasks
    2. Android = 5 tasks
    3. Apple 2E = 5 tasks
    4. Commodore 64 = 5 tasks

In my Smartsheet I've created a dropdown (multiselect) that lists the previous 4 options. When "iOS" is selected then the status for the 5 iOS tasks changes to "Not Started" and status for tasks 2, 3, and 4 is set to "N/A". On the other hand if I were to check "iOS" and "Apple 2E" then the status for both of those would change to "Not Started" and the status for "Android" and "Commodore 64" changes to "N/A"

All that functionality currently works.

I have added two new options to the previously mentioned dropdown (multiselect) specifically "Mobile Releases" and "Computer Releases". What I want to have happen is if I select "Mobile Releases" for the "iOS" and "Android" status to change to "Not Started" and then "Apple 2E" and "Commodore 64"s status would be set to "N/A". If I were to select "Computer Releases" then "Apple 2E" and "Commodore 64"s status would be set to "Not Started" and "iOS" and "Android"s status would be set to "N/A"

I've got an if statement on the status fields for options reads "=IF(iOS1 = 1, "Not Started", "N/A")" respectively. I'm not sure how to add to that if statement to make it also recognize "Mobile Releases" and "Computer Releases".

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!