Calendar App- Multiple date display

Sarah Ko
Sarah Ko
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi there,

I've been searching the learning center but can't find my answer. Our projects track events by EITHER a start/end date OR Due Date/Activation Date.

Is there a way to display BOTH dates on the calendar app? The settings allow me to choose the start date and end date but I can't figure out how to get events that only have an activation/due date assigned.

Thanks!

Sarah

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi Sarah,

Based on the description of your projects, it sounds like you'll need to create two calendars if you're using the Calendar App: one with the Start/End date projects and one specifically just for the Due Date projects. You could put links to both of the calendars on one dashboard if you want them easily distinguished/accessible.

As an alternative, you may be able to use the Calendar View within your sheet instead - you would need to merge all of your Due Date dates into the End Date column, but then they will show up along with your tasks that span a number of days. Would that work instead? If you don't like the look of that calendar, you can publish it to a google calendar (see here).

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Ross Novotny
    Ross Novotny ✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P Do you know if it's possible to publish multiple dates in a single Smartsheet row. So in the example above you would have a start date and end date in a single row. But you would publish all the start dates to a Google Calendar, then publish all the End Dates to the same Google Calendar and be able to change the display color within Google Calendar?

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Ross Novotny

I have to admit I've never tried to do this, but I don't think it's possible. The reason is that to publish the calendar to a Google calendar you need to first have the Calendar View set up in Smartsheet. If you include bot the Start Date and End Date in your View, then the calendar will show this as one long task (instead of one on the Start Date and one on the End).

You would need to have 2 separate sheets with 2 separate calendars in order to publish the Start and End individually. Does that make sense?

• Hi@Genevieve P

Do you know if there is a way to get an event that I entered into a row to span multiple days in the Calendar App without entering a row for each day the event is taking place? For instance, there’s a convention that is three days long and I want it to show up in the Calendar App view on all three days. Do I need to enter it as three separate rows and select each of the three days in my date drop down? FYI, my Smartsheet is made up of mostly projects in progress but I want to show industry events that are happening around our projects so we keep that in mind re: timing. Thanks in advance!

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Andrea Zils

It sounds like you may have only mapped one of your date columns to the Calendar App. In the settings under "Map Columns" you should be able to select one date column as the Task Start Date for your projects and then another date column as the Task End Date (see our Help Center article on the Calendar App for more details.)

If you have both of those columns mapped, then you only need one row in the source sheet that has a start & end date to show the convention across all three days! Otherwise, if you wish to keep it to only a Start Date and map just one column, then in this case you would need to create three separate rows with three distinct start dates. Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve