Approval Workflow with more than 2 outcomes?

Hi,

I want an approval flow with 3 outcomes; Rejected, Approved and Approved with Comments...

• I can't see a way to increase the number of outcomes for the Approval Workflow.
  • I tried adding a checkbox field for "with comments" so someone could tick the checkbox then Approve and use a logic filter to manage the flow but the Approval Workflow does not permit fields to be edited, as far as I can see.
  • I imagine I could use an Update Request instead inviting the approver to select a response from a dropdown but then its not a "proper" approval and I think I lose some audit functionality(?)

Any better ideas?

Thanks,

Allan.

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing I can think of is Update Requests. What type of audit functionality are you concerned with losing from this?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Allan,

@Allan Watkins

As a possible workaround, you could maybe use the comment section and use that in the automation/workflow in combination with Approved/Rejected to get the the Approved with Comments status.

Make sense?

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @CollabMeganPMP
    @CollabMeganPMP ✭✭✭✭

There needs to be a customizable approval workflow that allows for more than 2 options. We are struggling with this... update requests get the job done, but they are tedious to make sure you are removing the right columns from the request when you need to send something back to the employee. Our situation is this. We are sending something for approval, denial, or more information requested. It would be great if we could have the three options and then trigger an update request back to the employee is more information is requested. But since we can't do a three-option approval, we have do use a drop-down field with Approved, Denied, or More Information Requested. This gets messy when sending the update request because A. the approver can change any field and then either approve, deny, or request more information (that doesn't seem too safe). B. every update request that goes back to the original submitter for more information has to be carefully tailored to remove any of the approval drop-downs or they could change them to something. Can't use locked columns either because I can't make every approver a sheet admin.

• John Plecki
    John Plecki ✭✭✭

I agree. I am running into the same situation and spent entire day to no avail trying to figure out a workaround. I do not want to sacrifice the simplicity of using an approval versus an update request. Life is not always a yes or no answer. I need an approval with 2 options. Seems like a fairly easy enhancement.

• Shesha_K
    Shesha_K ✭✭✭

I was wondering if there was any progress made toward enabling more than just two approval options? I would also like to include "Approve, Reject, Modify". And while the update requests work, I feel like these workarounds are unnecessary and tedious. If we could at least require certain fields be required to be answered in update requests that might make this workaround a little more bearable.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Shesha_K

I hope you're well and safe!

Great idea! That would be a great addition to Smartsheet features.

Please submit this as a Product Feedback or Idea (If it hasn't been added already) when you have a moment.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.