When a user has permission to a report but not the underlining sheet can they update the report?

Lauren Smith
Lauren Smith ✭✭✭
edited 06/11/20 in Smartsheet Basics

If you parcel out a sheet by reports per 'assignee' due to the fact you don't want the assignee to have access to the main sheet but instead update reports can you do this with permissions?

In other words, when a user has permission to a report but not the underlining sheet can they update the report which then would update the sheet?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Lauren,

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

As a possible workaround, and a solution that would be perfect for this use-case is the premium add-on, Dynamic View.

Is that an option?

More info: 

If it's not an option

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Dynamic view is something we could use but because the reasoning isn't due to being confidential but due to not wanting the resource to mess up the PM project plan sheet.

More detail:

We have a project plan which is a sheet that has tons of tasks assigned to a variety of users. The assignees don't have access to the project plan sheet. So we set up the automation to send the assignee the note to update their tasks once a week. The issue is that if they want to go back a few days later after already updating it via the automation email the link does not allow them. So our solution was the bi-direction reports but if they dont have access to the project plan they cant update the report.

I am trying to accomplish the ability to let an assignee update their tasks at any given time without access to the main project plan sheet.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/16/20

@Lauren Smith

Excuse my late response.

Did you get it working, or do you still need help?

If yes, we could structure a solution with VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH and add a checkbox or similar in that sheet to trigger an Update Request if they need to update anything.

Another option could be to Publish the sheet to be editable.

What do you think? Would one of those options work?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.