autofill of formulas is not working when adding more than one line of data without saving the sheet

I have a sheet with some formulas.

If I add a new row of data ,the formulas are autofilled as expected.

If I add another row of data, the formulas are not autofilled.

If I save the sheet after adding the first row of data, the next new row will autofill the formulas.

This means, I have to save the sheet after adding each row of new data to have the formulas autofilled, which is very uncomfortable and unexplainable to my colleagues.

How can I change this bevaviour for adding some lines of new data and have the autofill function working without saving the sheet after each row?

P.S. will happen in table view and card view

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Joachim,

That’s weird! It should work.

What formulas are you using? Anything special?

Can you maybe share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Joachim Mund
    Joachim Mund ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Andrée,

thank you very much for your interest and help!

I did a test sheet and some screenshots, where you should see when the formula autofill is not working:

4 columns:

primary: text, Formula 1: =COUNT(CHILDREN()), Formula 2: =COUNT(PARENT()), Type: =IF([Formula 2]1 = 0; "Phase"; "Task")

A) Demo sheet:

1. starting with saved sheet:

2. add Task 2.2, Tab to go to next column, formulas are autofilled, sheet not saved

3. add Task 2.3, Tab to go to next column, formulas 1 / 2 are autofilled, formula Type not autofilled, sheet not saved

If I save after each new line, all formulas are autofilled

B) real sheet for working with more complex formulas

1. saved sheet

2. add Test 1 in saved sheet, formula in Typ is autofilled

3. add Test 2 in not saved sheet, formula in Typ is not autofilled

Any idea why this will happen?

Thanks very much, because it is a problem to ask any person to save after adding a new line.

Best wishes, Joachim

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Joachim Mund

How did it go?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Joachim Mund
    Joachim Mund ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Andrée,

still an open issue, no response or questions from 2nd level support :-(.

I found a workaround / trick: using "budget@row" instead of "budget123" works fine.

This means, we have to change each formula and it will not work with references to other rows.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Joachim Mund

I always recommend using @row if possible. With it, you don't need to worry about row numbers.

Let me know what you find out?

• Joachim Mund
    Joachim Mund ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Andrée,

yes, with @row the autofill of formulas is working. And in most cases this will be a solution.

You must have in mind to change the line numbers after building a formula.

I got reponse from the smartsheet support in the meantime: they fount out, that this will happen in combination with the use of the DE (german) localisation :-(

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Joachim Mund

Thanks for the information. Good to know!

Please help the Community by marking your post with the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!