Nested IF Help

Hello,

I have these columns:

In a perfect world, when the status changes to RESOLVED, the date resolved would automatically populate. Since I can't do that without the use of something like Zapier, I'm trying to define a workaround using an additional column "Days to Resolve".

Some issues have been resolved, but a resolution date was never entered by the user.

So I I'd like to do is have a formula in the "Days to Resolve" column that says,

If there is a date in the "Date Resolved" column then NETWORKDAYS between the "Legacy Entry Date" and the "Date Resolved"

If there is no date in the "Date Resolved" column then "--"

I thought this could be done with a nested IF statement but I've been pulling my hair out since last night. :)

Thanks,

Donna

Best Answer

• Kyle Chipman
    Kyle Chipman Overachievers
    Answer ✓

Donna,

I think the formulas below address the expectations laid out above - let me know if this fits the bill (the underlying issue might be with your placement of parenthesis on ISDATE):

STATUS

=IF(ISDATE([Date Resolved]@row), "Resolved", "Not Resolved")

DAYS IN PROGRESS

=IF(ISDATE([Date Resolved]@row), "--", NETWORKDAYS([Legacy Entry Date]@row, TODAY()))

DAYS TO RESOLVE

=IF(ISDATE([Date Resolved]@row), NETWORKDAYS([Legacy Entry Date]@row, [Date Resolved]@row), "--")

Answers

• Kyle Chipman
    Kyle Chipman Overachievers
    Answer ✓

Donna,

I think the formulas below address the expectations laid out above - let me know if this fits the bill (the underlying issue might be with your placement of parenthesis on ISDATE):

STATUS

=IF(ISDATE([Date Resolved]@row), "Resolved", "Not Resolved")

DAYS IN PROGRESS

=IF(ISDATE([Date Resolved]@row), "--", NETWORKDAYS([Legacy Entry Date]@row, TODAY()))

DAYS TO RESOLVE

=IF(ISDATE([Date Resolved]@row), NETWORKDAYS([Legacy Entry Date]@row, [Date Resolved]@row), "--")

• Donna T
    Donna T ✭✭

Yes! Thank you so much for your help

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!