Report appears blank even after being shared

Wanda Jackson
Wanda Jackson ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/11/20 in Smartsheet Basics
  • On Monday, I shared a sheet and then gave the collaborators the link from my browser and it showed the sheet content.
  • Yesterday, I've created a report, then shared it with different permission levels, but no one can see the content.
  • I've given them the Report Link from the Report Sharing Box, it doesn't show content.
  • I've given them the link from my browser, it doesn't show content.
  • I've moved from my workspace to the Sheets section, it still doesn't show content.
  • I've published the report and the link from the Publish Option section does work as a View Only and this link does show content.

I need to share the report so that other collaborators can edit the content of the report.

Please help and let me know what I need to do differently.

Thanks,

Wanda Jackson

Best Answer

Answers

• Wanda Jackson
    Wanda Jackson ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Andrée,

Thanks for the information. Are you saying that a Report cannot be shared with editing permissions without sharing the underlying sheet first? My underlying sheet has information that other collaborators don't need to see and my Report is sorted differently from the underlying sheet for easier viewing by Jurisdiction with editing permissions. If you share a Report with editing permissions, will this not work properly without sharing the underlying sheet?

If none of the above can be done and share the underlying sheet, can I just share it as view only with the published link? And if so, will they still be able to make edits to the report with the proper permissions? I don't want them to have access to the entire underlying sheet to make edits, as other information is on that sheet as well.

With all of this said, how can anyone edit a Report without having permission to the underlying sheet? Being shared to (2) different things (sheet & report) can be confusing for the collaborators who need to edit one and not the other.

Here's the link that I viewed when trying to make this work. From my understanding, it is saying that you can share a Report with editing permissions, but it doesn't say you have to share the underlying sheet with it.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/520104-share-sheets-reports-dashboards#Workspace_Sharing

Wanda Jackson

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Wanda Jackson

Excuse my late response.

Yes, a report can't be editable without sharing the underlying sheet.

The published report can't be edited.

Another option could be to Publish the sheet to be editable.

What do you think? Would that work?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Fcon13
    Fcon13 ✭✭✭

Total waste to have it work this way. It makes the report absolutely worthless and functions as a shared underlying sheet anyway---especially when you don't want those people to access the full sheet. Smartsheet makes this way more complex than it needs to be...all in the name of pushing small businesses to upgrade beyond their capacity or need.

• Hi all,

I know I am commenting on an old forum, but I am having this challenge as well. We are hoping to share a Report with a group that we do not want to grant access to the entire sheet.

I understand now the issue is that the viewers cannot access our underlying sheets, but this is the very nature of it. Without this, the Report functionality only serves our team, which, while helpful, undercuts further usefulness. I would like to advocate that changing the sharing and viewing functions of reports would help to make it a stronger product overall and more applicable to a variety of situations.

Sincerely,

Ryan