Update Request - Setting Default Value In Drop Down

Options

I'm working on creating a Automated workflow so that when I change a status, it triggers an Update Request to someone. I want to set the Status to a Default Value (so the user doesn't have to select something) so it then triggers another update to the team and sets the value in Status correctly.

I know how to do that with a Form (just hiding a field), but I'm not seeing a way to do it in the Update Request.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Mike,

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike Rini
    Options

Hey Andree -

Sure. Basically we get requests submitted via a form. When they are submitted, I set the default value of our Status column to "Not Reviewed." This tells my team - via an Alert - they have to review request. Once they've reviewed it, and are ready to move it to the next stage (getting additional information) they change the Status to "Sent To Account." In this stage, an Update Request will be sent with all the information that is needed to be gathered. Once that's submitted, I would like the Status to change to "Account Submitted" so my team knows they have to do something again. I would like to avoid having the account team manually do that (since there are dozens of statuses) if possible, and would love it if there was a way similar to the form to set the default Status to a value once the Update Request is received.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mike Rini

A possible solution/workaround could be to use the update request in combination with an Approval Workflow. When the status changes to Sent To Account, the Approval is triggered and changes the Status to Account Submitted.

Make sense? Would that work?

Another option would be to use a 3rd party service like Zapier.

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike Rini
    Options

Thanks, that's actually not a bad idea. I think we may have found a different workaround. We decided to use DataMesh to marry up the requests receive. So with that way, we can pre-define the status with a Hidden field in the form.

Question: separate, but related. Is there a way to only pull in new additions via DataMesh? instead of all of them?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mike Rini

Thanks!

Yes, I believe so. I'm drawing a blank at the moment, which selection is the right one. Overwrite Existing or Ignore Entries.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Mike Rini
    Options

@Andrée Starå Hey - just revisiting this conversation from a couple months back. I'm re-thinking some of our workflows right now, and when back to your suggested workaround with the Approval. Is there any way that you could do this in an Automated way? I.E. - if I don't want to have someone approve it each time, and this is just something that should be allowed, can I set it so the Approval is automatically Approved?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mike Rini

Yes, I think we could automate it.

Do you have something you could share?