Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Automate Day based on chosen date

Kylie D'Costa
Kylie D'Costa ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi users!

I have a coloum that the user selects the date for a particular job. The following Column requires that DAY of the week to be selected.

Ie: if I choose the date 19/12/16, i then have to maually select 'Monday' from the drop down list.

Is there a way to automate that day of the week based on which date I select in the drop down calender?

Will make it alot quiker and more error proofed, especially if we change the date but forget to change the day.

Thanks heaps :)

Comments

• StacyDe
    StacyDe ✭✭

The weekday formula returns the day of the week, like sunday =1, monday =2, etc... so in your weekday column you could add an if formula that references the date column like this (just replace my [Start Date]18 with the right cell in your worksheet and I think this will do the trick):

=IF([Start Date]18 = "", "", IF(WEEKDAY([Start Date]18) = 1, "Sunday", IF(WEEKDAY([Start Date]18) = 2, "Monday", IF(WEEKDAY([Start Date]18) = 3, "Tuesday", IF(WEEKDAY([Start Date]18) = 4, "Wednesday", IF(WEEKDAY([Start Date]18) = 5, "Thursday", IF(WEEKDAY([Start Date]18) = 6, "Friday", IF(WEEKDAY([Start Date]18) = 7, "Saturday"))))))))

This discussion has been closed.