Is there a way to limit the max number of characters in a text/number field?

Options

I have a form that I want to use to capture telephone info. Is there a way to limit the max number of characters that can be input in a cell and perhaps show an error message to the user? Also, is there a way to limit input to numerical text only?

Thanks.

Bill

Best Answer

• Barry Bowles
    Barry Bowles ✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/02/21 Answer ✓
    Options

@William Lafferty @Mark Salamon Hey there you probably figured a workaround for this by now but just in case you haven't I had the same issue and I resolved it at the data entry stage rather than through update requests. In my case it was just the number of characters to be limited. I created a new hidden column I called #chrs and used the LEN() formula to count the characters in the column I wanted to limit. Then I used conditional formatting to apply a very visible format to the cell where I wanted the limit using a maximum of 25 in the #chr column as the criteria. See screenshot as an example.

Although it doesn't stop the error being made it does make it obvious something is wrong and just needs a little training of the user. Hope this is helpful.

However I agree with Mark, the real answer is for smartsheet to provide real data entry validation at least to the level that excel offers in its basic functionality. Data validation is the key to accurate data entry and prevention is far better and more efficient than cure, without that basic validation smartsheet becomes notsosmartsheet ;-).

Instead of spending all the time effort and then pomp and ceremony to add a few color additions to the dashboards and hardly any additional functionality, that time and effort would have been far better invested in data validation or maybe adding the basic time function to the date columns.

Smartsheet is a great product but the omission of some very basic functionality that has existed in excel for 20 years makes smartsheet really outdated and leaves a huge gap for smartsheet competitors to grow.

Answers

• Bill Lafferty
    Bill Lafferty ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I did see how to validate if numerical text only using the "ISNUMBER()" formula.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi Bill,

No, there currently is no way to limit the number of characters in a form field, and to restrict it to numerical values only (please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment!)

I would suggest adding some Helper Text above the text box identifying exactly how the phone number should be laid out:

Then, as you suggested, you could use an ISNUMBER function to see if the cell contains only numbers (my example above wouldn't fit this criteria).

Additionally, you could trigger an Update Request to the person who submitted the form asking them to re-do that one field if the ISNUMBER formula detected that the cell wasn't all numbers. Just a few ideas!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Bill Lafferty
    Bill Lafferty ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Genevieve. We have done that. However, we were looking for ways to flag it to the user entering data in the form vs. an on the backend via an update request.

Bill

• Barry Bowles
    Barry Bowles ✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/02/21 Answer ✓
    Options

@William Lafferty @Mark Salamon Hey there you probably figured a workaround for this by now but just in case you haven't I had the same issue and I resolved it at the data entry stage rather than through update requests. In my case it was just the number of characters to be limited. I created a new hidden column I called #chrs and used the LEN() formula to count the characters in the column I wanted to limit. Then I used conditional formatting to apply a very visible format to the cell where I wanted the limit using a maximum of 25 in the #chr column as the criteria. See screenshot as an example.

Although it doesn't stop the error being made it does make it obvious something is wrong and just needs a little training of the user. Hope this is helpful.

However I agree with Mark, the real answer is for smartsheet to provide real data entry validation at least to the level that excel offers in its basic functionality. Data validation is the key to accurate data entry and prevention is far better and more efficient than cure, without that basic validation smartsheet becomes notsosmartsheet ;-).

Instead of spending all the time effort and then pomp and ceremony to add a few color additions to the dashboards and hardly any additional functionality, that time and effort would have been far better invested in data validation or maybe adding the basic time function to the date columns.

Smartsheet is a great product but the omission of some very basic functionality that has existed in excel for 20 years makes smartsheet really outdated and leaves a huge gap for smartsheet competitors to grow.

• AJMoede
    AJMoede ✭✭
    Options

How has this capability continued to elude Smartsheet for 3 years now? What's the point of an enhancement request for a minimum product expectation if three years later nothing was delivered?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!