Multiple forms with unique dropdowns

Hello,

I currently have a smart-sheet that gathers data from multiple vendors (each vendor has a form). One of the columns is an ID which would be entered through a drop-down. The functionality we are looking for is to have unique drop-downs for every form.

Would this be possible? When I plug in the values for the drop-down in one form it is reflected across all the forms.

Thanks,

Koushik

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Koushik,

You could use so-called helper columns for each form with the values for the dropdown and then have a formula in the main one that collects the information from the helper column that has a value.

Make sense?

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks Andree for the quick response. I am not sure how I'd do that maybe let me provide an example - I have 1 sheet and 15 forms linked to that sheet. I begin to design form 1, by entering values in the column properties as x,y,z (screenshot below). I would have expected x,y,z to appear only while filling form A, however these values appear in the column properties for each of the other forms too. I want other forms to have their own unique Values.

From what I see all the forms are interconnected and I am not able to have each form set to have unique values.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Let me know if I need to provide any more context.

Thanks,

Koushik

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

The forms aren't connected, but if you use the same column(s), they will show the same values.

You could have one form and then use the logic to change which column(s) should show.

Option 1 in the form would show column 1

Option 2, column 2 . . .

Another option would be to have it like you have it now but use the logic in each form and add the 15 columns as needed.

Make sense? Would that work?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks a lot for your response, it helps me think through this better. So sounds like my options are to create multiple columns for each of the drop-down value and create a logic. The problem though is that with those 15 forms the ID column has almost 180 unique values (Each form has 12 values). I think it would be infeasible to create 180 columns in the main sheet.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Koushik Ganesh

You're more than welcome!

It's possible to create all those columns, and it could be worth it, but it depends on the use-case and process specifics.

Another option would be a 3rd party integration/service. Is that an option?