Help with best practice for Work order approval

Options

I am looking for help or link to a more in depth video for best practices and how to best set up and use the workflow and approval request feature.

I feel like I am spinning my wheels and experimenting with different ways to do this and I would appreciate any feedback or direction.

I have a construction company and want to set up the Work Order workflow. This is the order of work:

1) Construction Manager creating the Work Order and Cost, on a sheet that calculates the items involved.

2) Approval by Lead Production Supervisor of Construction Managers work order and costing and then approves it so it is sent to client for approval

3) Step 2 approval = Send to Client for approval

4) Client Acceptance

5) if accepted copied to Accounts Receivables to invoice for the work order

6) Save the accepted Work Orders to a sheet that has a parent row that totals the cost of all change orders to date.

Some questions:

1) I am concerned about clients changing numbers in the sheet during the approval process. Is it recommended to lock rows or is there a better way to do this.

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Lisa_Doris ,

Please see my comments/questions below.

Seems ok to me. What is the reasoning behind splitting it up in different sheets? Would it work to keep it in one sheet instead?

Some questions:

1) I am concerned about clients changing numbers in the sheet during the approval process. Is it recommended to lock rows or is there a better way to do this.

If you send an Approval Request they will only be able to Approve/Decline and comment.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.