Best formula to return a list of qualifications for card view

Options

Hi Community,

So, I am trying to save myself a lot of manual data entry. Ultimately, I am trying to take a spreadsheet that was created in Excel, to capture each persons "qualifications" in a specific field, and get it into card view. I have attached the files of what I am starting with and what I would like to end up with. The issue is I don't want to manually create a separate entry for each person and their qualification in order to populate the card data. I was hoping to do a sort of If/And formula to return the column headers that have an X in the column and then maybe copy past to my data sheet. There are about 30 column headers and about 110 people.

I was thinking maybe something along the lines of the above formula, however, I realize that would be a lot of individual formulas to create doing it that way. Plus the fact that I wasn't able to get that one to work. I am somewhat new to card view so if there is a better way please let me know! I am open to suggestions.

Thank you!

Shesha

Best Answers

Answers

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

=IF(CONTAINS([Primary Column]@row, JOIN(COLLECT({If/When Qualifications Area of Expertise}, {If/When Qualifications SME}, [Primary Column]@row))), "X")

You will need to edit the other sheet references to the correct columns. I also recommend naming all other sheet references, it can be a real pain to understand your formulas when coming back to them in the future, speaking from past experience.

• Shesha_K
    Shesha_K ✭✭✭
    Options

So I am getting #INCORRECT ARGUMENT when I try that formula. I have attached images showing which columns I am referencing. The column headers are the "areas of expertise".

I am not sure if that is what you meant. I am trying to return something that looks like this:

• Shesha_K
    Shesha_K ✭✭✭
    Options

This will work so much better than what I was trying! Thank you so much for your help!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!