Alerts not working

Options

Hi All,

I have a very simple smartsheet and if I add Yes in a drop down to a field (Output for Personnel File) then I want an alert sent.

I have made settings unrestricted although the alert is to me and I am the owner.

I have ensured that I save the data but nothing is triggered

However, if instead of an ALERT someone change the action to be REQUEST an UPDATE (nothing else is changed) then an update request is sent instantly.

Any ideas super smart people as I am obviously missing something 😥

Many thanks

Sue

p.s. the reason I am doing this as we effectively want to have the output, in a readable form, to attached to a personnel file in a different system. The print option just makes one line over several pages where I need more of the card layout. An alert or update request gives a layout that looks good and can be saved electronically

Sue Rogers

AmerisourceBergen - MWI Animal Health

Business Analyst

Best Answer

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi David,

Yes it did and it was my fault although very obscure.

As an admin and owner I had clicked on notifications for almost everything other than people asking to have a licenced account. However, what I had missed was a little tick box saying to include my own changes.

Andrée Starå from the community worked with me on this and everything was working fine if he made a change and he got the notification - so we were at pulling our hair out stage .... then found this tick box, hopefully screenshot shows it below, which meant it only wasn't working for me because I was making the changes in test and trying to send the alert to myself. I have now changed this setting and all working fine.

Wishing you all the best of luck and give me a shout if you think I can help further:)

Kindest regards

Sue

It is that bad boy in the bottom left SHEET CHANGE NOTIFICATION SETTINGS grrrr

Sue Rogers

Business Analyst

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @SueinSpain

First, make sure that you have allowed yourself to receive notifications properly in your Personal Settings (circle/profile in the upper right corner) and secondly check the Permission setting for the Automations. (cog in the top right corner in the Automation overview)

Did that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Looks like my settings are OK as receive emails for changes & reminders, updates and approvals

Had made unrestricted as been caught out by this before.

To confirm as well - the above settings were made before I requested the alert

The update request worked just not the alert - so something silly I'm doing wrong

Sue Rogers

Business Analyst

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SueinSpain

Ok.

I'd be happy to take a quick look and see if I spot anything.

Can you share it with me?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes of course but how? what email address etc do I use:)

Sorry finished for tonight so resume tomorrow ?

Sue Rogers

Business Analyst

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SueinSpain

Sure! No rush!

Can you maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s)? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

have shared as advised :)

Sue Rogers

Business Analyst

• David Shupe
    Options

Hi @SueinSpain .

I am experiencing the same issue. Did this get resolved?

Best, David

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi David,

Yes it did and it was my fault although very obscure.

As an admin and owner I had clicked on notifications for almost everything other than people asking to have a licenced account. However, what I had missed was a little tick box saying to include my own changes.

Andrée Starå from the community worked with me on this and everything was working fine if he made a change and he got the notification - so we were at pulling our hair out stage .... then found this tick box, hopefully screenshot shows it below, which meant it only wasn't working for me because I was making the changes in test and trying to send the alert to myself. I have now changed this setting and all working fine.

Wishing you all the best of luck and give me a shout if you think I can help further:)

Kindest regards

Sue

It is that bad boy in the bottom left SHEET CHANGE NOTIFICATION SETTINGS grrrr

Sue Rogers

Business Analyst

• Laresa Simpkins
    Options

This is fabulous- I finally got it to work with this post! thanks!!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!