RYGB Symbols Average Formula

Options

I currently having issues with creating formula that gets the average of 4 cells that have the option of 4 different symbols (Red,Yellow,Green,Blue). The goal is to show the average of the four cell symbol's in one here is what I have so far.

=IF(COUNTIF([PW Goal]3, [BB Goal]3, [JQ Goal]3, [MC Goal]3, "Red")) = 4, "Red", IF([PW Goal]3, [BB Goal]3, [JQ Goal]3, [MC Goal]3, "Yellow") > 0, "Yellow", IF([PW Goal]3, [BB Goal]3, [JQ Goal]3, [MC Goal]3, "Green") > 3, "Green", IF([PW Goal]3, [BB Goal]3, [JQ Goal]3, [MC Goal]3, "Blue") = 4, "Blue"

Best Answer

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @joe.quinones,

When you say "average" that implies numerical averages. Assuming your rules are as follows:

. If all 4 are Red then Goal AVG = Red

. If any of the 4 are Yellow then Goal AVG = Yellow

. If all 4 are Green then Goal AVG = Green

. If all 4 are Blue then Goal AVG = Blue

If this is the case

1. Put the Goal Columns next to eachother so you can reference them as a range. Otherwise your formulas will be too complicated. Then try this formula:

=IF(COUNTIF([PW Goal]1:[MC Goal]1, "Red") = 4, "Red", IF(COUNTIF([PW Goal]1:[MC Goal]1, "Yellow") > 0, "Yellow", IF(COUNTIF([PW Goal]1:[MC Goal]1, "Green") > 3, "Green", IF(COUNTIF([PW Goal]1:[MC Goal]1, "Blue") = 4, "Blue", "No AVG"))))

Note: It's best to have a general catch-all exit clause for your nested if. In this case there are some cases that don't have a condition - for example 2 blue, 2 green. Make sure you account for those.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

Answers

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @joe.quinones,

When you say "average" that implies numerical averages. Assuming your rules are as follows:

. If all 4 are Red then Goal AVG = Red

. If any of the 4 are Yellow then Goal AVG = Yellow

. If all 4 are Green then Goal AVG = Green

. If all 4 are Blue then Goal AVG = Blue

If this is the case

1. Put the Goal Columns next to eachother so you can reference them as a range. Otherwise your formulas will be too complicated. Then try this formula:

=IF(COUNTIF([PW Goal]1:[MC Goal]1, "Red") = 4, "Red", IF(COUNTIF([PW Goal]1:[MC Goal]1, "Yellow") > 0, "Yellow", IF(COUNTIF([PW Goal]1:[MC Goal]1, "Green") > 3, "Green", IF(COUNTIF([PW Goal]1:[MC Goal]1, "Blue") = 4, "Blue", "No AVG"))))

Note: It's best to have a general catch-all exit clause for your nested if. In this case there are some cases that don't have a condition - for example 2 blue, 2 green. Make sure you account for those.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/27/20
    Options

You can do it the standard way, or you can do it the fun way.

=LEN(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE([PW Goal]@row+[BB Goal]@row + [JQ Goal]@row +[MC Goal]@row), "Green", 1, "Yellow", 11), "Red", 111), "Blue", 1111)) / 20

*Edit - Haha, the output is supposed to be the color balls, just realized that. oh well

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!