Import MS project file size limit

Sander K
Sander K ✭✭✭✭
edited 06/12/20 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello All

I am trying to import MS project file to Smartsheet, but it as I press continue, it says the file exceeds the maximum allowed 10Mb size. My file is 17Mb. But here in this link it is said that the size limit is 50Mb. How can I proceed? https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/504553-import-files-to-create-new-sheets#:~:text=For%20successful%20import%2C%20files%20must,be%20imported%20at%20a%20time

Thank you

Sander

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi Sander,

I was able to successfully import a file around 20mb... but it wasn't an MS Project type of file. If you're receiving an error I would suggest reaching out to Smartsheet Support about this, attaching the file you want uploaded so they can troubleshoot with you.

Some things you might try testing in the meantime:

• Save the file as any of the following file types and try to import: .mpp, .mpx, .mspdi
    • Try importing the file in another browser

A couple of alternative recommendations for getting the data from MS project into Smartsheet:

• Use keyboard shortcuts to copy (Ctrl + C) the data from MS Project and paste (Ctrl + V) the data into Smartsheet.
    • Try breaking up the MS Project file into two or more files that are less than 10MB. Import these files into Smartsheet to create new sheets, then copy and paste the data between the created sheets to get all the data onto one sheet.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Sander K
    Sander K ✭✭✭✭

Hi Genevieve

Thank you for your reply. I wrote to Smartsheet support.

This is the message I get when I upload the 18Mb file:

Saving file as .mpx reduced the file size which was great, but it lost all my additional columns, so that option is out.

Just copying and pasting is also not an option since it loses the MS project hierarchy by that way and it does not let me copy more that 500 rows at once.

Breaking up the file, idea is great if I would only have one file to break into two. But I have 15 different projects I need to do the same way. It would take a lot of time and I can't risk, maybe losing a few rows here and there due to human mistakes.

Interesting part is that, on the website it clearly states, the limits are 50Mb, but it does not let me upload more that 10Mb. Maybe there are different limits on depending on your User type? I am not sure what license exactly I have, since it is bought by my company.