Making a calendar but need to hide data

Hello! I created a sheet with a form where staff can submit PTO requests. The form just asks for name, dates, and comments. The sheet contains notes and other information that managers will enter. I want to be able to publish a calendar with just the name (primary column) and the dates. Calendar view is perfect, the problem is the view can toggle to the grid view and see the rest of the data. My first thought was too create a second sheet and link the cells that I wanted to share. The problem is it doesn't auto update as new submissions come in. I tried sending it to a Google Calendar but I don't like how it looks and it still allows them to link back to the Smartsheet. Is there a way to just publish the calendar? Can I hide columns? Can I link an entire column so that it updates? Thanks for help!

Answers

• Hi @live4makingsheets

What if you created a Report from this sheet that only displays the columns you want visible (see here)? Reports will automatically update as new rows are created, as long as those new rows match the defined criteria.

If you want the employees to be able to edit the data this wouldn't work as you would still need to share the underlying sheet to them... however if you just wanted to show them the Calendar, with Viewer permissions, then you can use a Published Link of the Report with Calendar View as a default view (see here on Publishing).

You could even then embed this into a Dashboard with the Web Content Widget (see here) if you wanted to have this and the form they use to submit requests to be accessible at the same time.

Let me know if this would work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now