Updating (e.g. formatting) Sheets - Is there a better way?

Good Afternoon!

I am 2 months new to Smartsheet and enjoying the journey thus far.

Project Background:

I am working on developing a "master template" of tracking Objectives & Key Results (OKRs). In doing so, using the Master template which contains alot of formulas and conditional formatting, etc. Once I get it designed as desired, I plan to develop sheets for each service/department for supervisors and designates to update.

Question

My question I was hoping someone may be able to assist with or point me in the right direction. Is there a better way? The issue I see that maybe there is way for this to automatically update? If say, down the road, we want to add an additional column, formatting, etc., would I have to then go into each department/service line sheet and make these same changes to each. I wasn't sure if there is a way that when you update a a sheet (in this case the master sheet), and if you ADD a Column (e.g. Cost Variance or color coded) that it would automatically update in all other sheets as well?

Another question, is there a way that when you add a row that the formula will automatically carry down or up?

Very much appreciate folks time, so thank you in advance for any feedback or best practices you have deployed!

Will

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi William,

I think this is a duplicate post, but I've added the same answer below.

The better way would be to use the premium add-on, Control Center.

Is that an option?

More info: 

Regarding the formula autofill

Yes, there is.

The new row will be auto-filled with the formulas if there are two rows below/above with the same formulas.

More details:

If the formula structure is the same above/below the Formula Autofill will add the formula(s) automatically.

Conditions That Trigger Formula Autofill

You’ll see formulas populate automatically when you type in a newly inserted or blank row that is:

• Directly between two others that contain the same formula in adjacent cells.
    • At the topmost of the sheet if it’s above two rows that have the same formula in adjacent cells. (This includes rows inserted from a form.)
    • At the bottommost of the sheet if it’s below two rows that have the same formula in adjacent cells. (This includes rows inserted from a form.)
    • Above or below a single row that is between blank rows and has formulas.

More info: 

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.