Copy an Attachment between sheets

I am looking to copy an attachment only between 2 sheets. I can't seem to figure out how to do this! I have even looked at Zapier as an option, but not that familiar with it yet, so not sure how to make it work.

Any suggestions?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @skarkhoff

Would the Copy Row automation work for you? (See here) This would create a copy of the entire row though, and you would need to adjust the cell content if you want it to be something different in the other sheet.

As an alternative, what about creating a Report (see here) to bring together rows with attachments from one sheet and display them next to relevant rows in the other sheet?

Let me know if either of these will work for you! If not, it would be helpful to know a bit more about your specific situation... screen captures would be great to see, but please block out any sensitive data.

Thanks!

Genevieve

• S_Karkhoff
    S_Karkhoff ✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P - we are using forms on both sheets to capture required information, so if we did the copy row, we'd end up with duplicate rows of registrants. Same with the report option. If i combine the sheets, i'm basically getting 2 rows for each person.

How the process is set up:

1. the salesperson (our staff) uses a form to select a training date for the attendee and answers a few registration related questions.
    2. If air or hotel is needed, a notification goes to the attendee with a link to a different form. That data is collected on a travel request sheet.
    3. Once the flights are booked, our travel agency uses dynamic view to add flight details (date, time, etc) and uploads a confirmation document to the travel sheet.
    4. To view all attendee related data on one sheet, I'm using INDEX/MATCH to bring over the responses to the travel form/sheet.
    5. The reports that the training team view are based off the registration sheet, and need to remain that way so that they are able to mark training completed and change the registration status if needed,etc. However, they'd like to see the itineraries that are being attached to the travel sheet w/in that report, which is why I was searching for a solution to copying only the attachment.

For a solution, I've revised the sheets so that the travel agency is inputing data into the registration sheet instead and adding attachments there. But curious to see if there's any other solutions that I just didn't think of!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

@S_Karkhoff Thanks for explaining your process! I can't think of another way to automatically bring over those attachments (it would need to be manual).

It sounds like your adjustment of having the travel agency attaching their files in the registration sheet is a good solution for now!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!