Backups and Recovery

Options

I am an admin at my company and I was instructed to actually just log in as my manager, the owner of our smartsheet account, and do everything from his account.

Well he unfortunately got let go the other day. I have reached out to a different manager and they are reaching out to our IT dept about actually just getting smartsheet assigned to my name, and I continue from there.

I was told to try and backup everything because we may lose it all. I've managed to request backups, and download everything, but is that only the sheet contents that are backed up? What about all of my automated workflows? I've spent months building our Smartsheet infrastructure, I can't just lose all my automations and formulas.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Ryan,

If you haven’t already, I would recommend that you reach out to the Smartsheet Support Team.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi Ryan,

Additionally, it would maybe be good to know a bit more about what you mean by having Smartsheet "assigned" to your name. If you can log in to this other account, you may just want to swap out what the primary email address is and then delete the old email address. This wouldn't change any of the data in the account at all, but would update the email address associated. (See here.) You'll want to update the Personal Profile as well.

Keep in mind that if you already have an account with your own email, you won't be able to add it in so you'll first need to remove that email from its account before adding it to another one.

Alternatively, as a sort of "backup" within Smartsheet, you could move all of these sheets to a shared workspace that has other licensed users. That way if something happens with the account, the people that are shared to the sheets can quickly create copies, which would copy your workflows as well.

You could also transfer the ownership of all these items to a different licensed user (for the time being) to ensure that these sheets won't be deleted. (See here).

Hope these options help! If I've misunderstood the situation, you can reach out to Support as Andrée suggested.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Bee Ng
    Bee Ng ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Ryan,

I hope that you were able to get the challenges with your sheets, and associated automation, etc. resolved.

Just in case, and for future data security, you may want to take a look at a new tool called SmartBackup from AcuWorkflow:

SmartBackup provides the ability to create full-featured backups of your sheets, including formatting, formulas, forms, automations, attachments, etc. and it also has an Archive function, and an Export function which provides much more than the standard Smartsheet export/backup capability.

The Starter Edition is free, and you can download that and test most of the functionality.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Bee