VLOOKUP on a multi-select column

Hello,

Say I have a multi select column with 4 possible choices (North, South, East, West). If North and South are selected, is it possible to write a VLOOKUP to pull the first selection, and then write a second VLOOKUP to pull the second selection? In other words, is it possible to parse multi-select columns?

Thank you.

Tags:

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Do you want to parse the selections into their own cells?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Not necessarily since I intend to use each selection in subsequent formulas, but if I need to parse them into their own cells as an intermediate step I am not opposed to doing so.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It would certainly be easier to manage if you parse it out first.

You can modify THIS SOLUTION to do so. You would use the formula in the orange cell and the JOIN column would be replaced by your Multi-Select column, and you would replace the "/" in the formulas with CHAR(10) which is the function for line breaks (the delimiter in multi-selects).

Once you parse out the selections, you can use cell references in your VLOOKUP's.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Hey @Paul Newcome

This post was flagged as it looks like the "This Solution" link no longer goes to a published sheet. Do you have a different sheet with the same solution? Or perhaps another post?

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. There have been a few updates to various parsing solutions, so I no longer have that sheet.

My personal favorite (I can't remember who first posted it here) uses a SUBSTITUTE function, but there are a number of different versions based on specific needs. If the person who flagged it is able to provide details surrounding their structure, I'd be happy to help figure out which one works best for them.

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!