Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Add text in addition to primary?

Larry Rubin
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hi - I'm using SS to track some dates for several projects.  My gantt and calendar show the text from the primary column which I want.   But I don't see a way to add the project name to the calendar or gantt.   Can I?   Thanks

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Larry,

There is only one label available.

You set it in the Project Settings | Timeline Display

However, because you can change it, you can use any column you chose and when you add the JOIN() functionality, can often get what you are looking for.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/775363-using-formulas

Hope this helps.

Craig

DisplayLabel.jpg

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'll add to what Craig has said Larry, and say that if the label column holds data that is concatenated from several other columns you can get the Gantt label to say pretty much whatever you want it to say. 

Hope that helps? 

Richardr 

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 01/13/17

Just to add to this—be careful when printing if you're going to concatenate data in one cell and use that as the label.

Our Gantt chart printing focuses on the length of the bars to determine the cut off point, and has been known to cut off text from the Gantt labels if they're long. (And there isn't a specific character count cut off point that I can provide.)

• Hi,

Is there a way to add text in the gantt chart "cells". I am required to show monthly cash flow and the quantities of physical progress. I want to show these values on a monthly basis under each activities' gantt -bar . How would I go about this?

Thank you

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

"under"? No. To the right? Yes.

You can assign any column to the label for display on the Gantt chart. Find this under Project Settings | Timeline Display.

You can use the JOIN() function or string concatenation (+) to combine text or values from several columns into a single column and then display that column. Unfortunately, you can't trick it into wrapping the text in the Gantt chart. I've tried.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.