Approval Process/Updated Row

I am working on an approval process. It starts with the use of a form to take in the data, and then the process is kicked off. I have two separate workflows, one for the new row being added; and the next if the size of the class or start date change. The approvers are the same.

New Record Approval:

Update Approval

I'm having two issues:

1) when adding a new row, the approver gets one email from the new record workflow, and another email from the change process workflow

2) even those I have the "when submitted" option selected as "Submitted," it doesn't reset the previous Approved or Declined that record used to have for that approver.

Answers

• Hi @Tristen Hannah

I've tested with two workflows set up the same way and I'm unable to replicate what you're seeing... the second workflow only triggers if a row exists already and is changed, but not at the initial creation.

Then, even if the first workflow had "Approved" in the TDM approval column, when a change is made it switches to "Submitted" automatically.

Is it possible that there are other workflows on this sheet that are creating the duplicate emails? Maybe test cloning these two workflows and deleting the originals, just in case that helps. If it doesn't, could you show a picture of all of the workflows currently set up on this sheet, and a picture of it in Grid View? (But please block out any sensitive data!)

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• The subjects are different, so I can see what flow is sending what email.

I tried cloning the flows and removing the old flow. It definitely changed things but not fixed.

Here is the relevant data from the sheet. There are 6 active workflows:

1: Approval to TDM when new row is added

2: Approval to RD when TDM approves

3: Approval to Finance when RD Approves:

4: Send notification to external email if Send to Source 2 is checked (column locked so only admins have ability)

5: Request Update. If the Request DM Update is checked, it sends an update request to the DM. I ended up locking all columns, and if the requestor wants to change their request, they have to go in an check this to get an update form. Seemed to best the best way to give visibility to the process without allowing the integrity of the data to be jeopardized.

6: Update approval flow. This mimics flows 1-3, but is meant to be if an update is made. For instance, if finance declines the request and a update form is sent back to the DM, I am trying to start the approval flow from the beginning.

I created row 4. The TDM got an approval request. Once the TDM approved the request, it appears flow 6 was triggered.

I don't understand why flow 6 would be triggered.

• Hi @Tristen Hannah

Thank you for providing all of these screen captures, this is very helpful! I set up something to mimic what you have here and I don't get the same result (the Change workflow only runs if a change occurs in one of the two columns specified, not when anything else changes).

My last suggestion would be to add in a condition to this 6th workflow, that the first Approval Column (TDM Approval) is Approved. That way it will run only if the first Approval has happened. As it runs, it will switch the Approved over to Submitted, but that will happen after the change has triggered the workflow.

Should adding a Condition not resolve the issue, I would suggest reaching out to Smartsheet Support so they can troubleshoot this with you (providing them a link to this post so they can see all your screen captures). Let them know you have attempted to duplicate the workflows as well as the sheet, but this still occurs.

Thanks!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Hi, I escalated to support and they are looking into it. I showed them the issue over zoom. Looks like they are escalating internally.