Formula on Smartsheets not autopopulating

Options

I have a Smartsheet that has formulas setup in the first two rows of the sheet. I have data on an Excel that needs to be copied and pasted onto this sheet. On copying and pasting upto 20 rows, Smartsheet has continued to maintain the formulas without any issue. However if I copied more than 20 rows, the formulas dont seem to carry over. Have any of you experienced this before? Any advice on how we can overcome this?

Tags:

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @S.GC.Bot4.d.whq User

I've just tested with 40+ rows and it populated as expected, as long as the two rows above contained the formula. Are you making sure the top row that you're pasting in is immediately below the last row with the formula? Or is it possible you're copying empty cells and pasting them where the formula should be?

If it's not populating immediately, I would suggest using the drag-fill option after the data is input to bring that formula down through the entire column (see here).

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi Genevieve,

Thank you so much for your suggestion. My template follows the pre-requisites for the Smartsheet formula autofill but I cant seem to get it to work. There seems to be 3 scenarios where it works is : (1) If i type into a cell that was referenced in a formula ; or (2) if I copy paste 20 records at a time or (3) If I dont copy "date" related fields, then the autofill works without issues. These sheets include collaboration with external vendors and they will be copy pasting information from excel to Smartsheets for our approval. So would you be able try out the scenario # 3 to see if you have any advice to be able to copy the date field.

Thanks!!!

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @S.GC.Bot4.d.whq User

I've tested with a few date fields, and I made sure the column types are matching across both sheets (ex. both columns are date columns), and I could copy 50 rows with a formula in a different column auto-populating as expected.

I would suggest reaching out to Smartsheet Support about this, so you can provide them with the exact Excel file you are using to copy from along with screen captures of how your sheet is set up, and the full formula that's not being auto-filled so they can troubleshoot this with you!

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @S.GC.Bot4.d.whq User

This week we released a feature called Column Formulas, where you can set one formula for the entire column. It sounds like this feature may resolve your initial issue so I wanted to make sure you heard about it!

See our Help Center for more information: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2481944-set-formulas-for-all-rows-with-column-formulas

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!