Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Offline Usage

Andrew Henderson
Andrew Henderson ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I see back in 2015 there were some posts about not being able to use SmartSheet office Is this still the case? and in so, does anyone have any tricks or ideas to get around this

Many Thanks in advance 

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Andrew

It is so rare these days that no connectivity is available for long periods, even long haul flights offer a service now, so why not just make notes in an offline package like Excel on that odd occasion, then copy paste yor work into Smartsheet when you next can? ( or read a book). 

It is possible to use smartsheet Data Offline by using it in conjunction with Appsheet, then sync when you next can, that works well and also provides lots of other functionality with it, like restricting who can see what of a smartsheet while retaining editing rights to Just what you want them to edit, and nothing else. Another common request in Smartsheet.

Hope that helps?

Richardr  

• Hi Andrew—

Smartsheet is an entirely online application and as such, we don't have a way to use Smartsheet in an offline capacity. I've added your vote for this type of functionality to our enhancement request list for further consideration by our Product team.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This feature (or lack of same) nearly killed the adoption of Smartsheet at where-I-used-to-work. We had customers that would not give contractors Internet access on-site.

There are ways to take this into account in your workflow, but require careful thought.

Craig

• David O'Brien
    edited 02/19/17

Shaine, I have seen comments from Smartsheet staff along the lines of "I will add your vote for offline access" going back to 2015.  The lack of this feature is a significant issue for many, myself included.  I would ask that Smartshee either 1) develop an offline solution, or 2) let users know it is not going to happen so those of us who keep asking for it can just move on.

• Richard Rymill SBP

David 

It depends on why you want offline access to Smartsheet but take a look at the explanatory video my colleague Craig voiced over for us,  which explains what can be done with Smartsheet by using Appsheet alongside, which will give you offline access for sync when you next can plus a lot more you havent asked for... 

We are great fans because it extends what we can do with Smartsheet right now! and the cost is low and reasonable.

http://smarterbusinessprocesses.com/appsheet/

RichardR

Hope that helps?

• How does Appsheet and synchronization work with multiple users editing same line item of something like a punch list?  In my work we are frequently doing inspections and creating/updating punch lists in environments that lack WiFi coverage, and cost to outfit tablets with SIM cards is too much even where cell phone coverage exists (which often enough it does not).  So off line capability is a must, but also management of multiple users possibly crossing each other's path on inspections.

• Proper offline use would be ver helpful.

Google docs is also an app but can be used offline.

• Richard Rymill SBP

David apologies for a very slow reply from August, I was on holiday when you posted this question. 

However the answer is that we often get requests to allocate work to numerous people working on one line item in Smartsheet which may take days or weeks to conclude and the main sheet would not benefit form hundreds of extra rows adding, every time that line item was addressed.

So by using Appsheet as the user interface to record word done, hours consumed against a Budget that is slowly being consumed we can provide Multi User access to one line item and the data is recorded in an activity sheet, which can be signed off or monitored and the resultant summary data be entered (synchronised) with the main sheet showing a slowly consumed work package of hours money etc. 

We have a demonstration App we can show you this working in Real time using Smartsheet Data. The Data remains in Smartsheet unless you wish some of it to exist in Excel or Google sheet? (no issues). By Using Appsheet in this way, you also get the benefits of working Offline with later Sync when available. 

Your first question was... are there Sync issues? No, not with careful design. 

If you would like to have a Free initial consultation including a Demonstration, just ask? 

Hope that helps? 

Richardr

• People have been adding to that request list for years! Por nada. 

• Colin Entrekin
    Colin Entrekin ✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/04/18

Smartsheet, 

I know this will never get read by anyone that makes decisions, but the lack of true offline support, in a word -- sucks.

Being located in the Pacific Northwest, I realize that you are accustomed to Wifi everywhere, and probably never a second goes by where you don't have a connection.  Guess what, though?  The rest of the country doesn't have that luxury.  

Our company operates across several states in the Southern U.S. serving Higher Education and K-12 schools.  In this region, you're lucky to find a good cell signal in many places, much less Wifi.  

Now, how do you think your app performs in this area?  Like crap, that's how.  

We go into schools to do a survey using a webform, spending 30 minutes logging data into the app, then hit save without realizing we are have lost cell signal and all the work we just did disappears!  That makes Smartsheet look like Sh*tsheet, honestly.

So, please, for the love of your customers, for the sake of your fans who know how good your product is when it works well, PLEASE!!!!  get a friggin' offline solution that isn't some cobbled together junk.  

I just want to be able to use the dang product where a Iive and work!  And, oh, by the way, there's like millions and millions and millions of people down here all in the same situation.  

Get a clue, please, and fix this problem this year 2018.  Thanks.

• epeyronnin
    edited 05/08/18

I am in the College of Agricultural Sciences and I have been using Smart Sheets for a few months.  I serve extension faculty, experiment stations in rural areas around the state where coverage is, at best, limited.  I see where this would be of great value for all my rural clients, I would like to recommend your product, but I can't due to this feature gap.

Ed Peyronnin

Director, Planning and Operations

College of Agricultural Science/

Agricultural Experiment Station

Colorado State University

• I love Smartsheets, as a certified user who works in this tool daily it is unfathomable there is not an "offline" capability. We are planning a 3-4 day retreat to a place where there is no connectivity to the world for the sole purpose of working with no distractions.

Download into excel, then cut and paste. Really? 

Love Smartsheets but this is a deal killer. Need to see what other solutions are out there for both of our companies.

This discussion has been closed.