Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Roll-up distinct selections in dropdown to parent row

Options

Is there a way to roll-up child dropdown selections to the parent row so that the selections show only once in the parent?

Example:

Dropdown contains: Red, Blue, Yellow

Child 1 selects Red

Child 2 selects Yellow

Child 3 selects Red

I found where I can use JOIN(Children()), but this will display Red, Yellow, Red in the parent.

I want to see only Red, Yellow

Is this possible?

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 01/17/17
    Options

I tested a formula out a bit and have pasted it below:

=IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Red") > 0, "Red") + " " + IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") > 0, "Yellow") + " " + IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") > 0, "Green")

A few caveats on this:

1. Don't copy and paste the formula in your sheet. (Some times the quotes and parens get messed up and Smartsheet can't read them if they're copied from somewhere like the Community site.)

2. If you're using a symbol column, only one symbol can be displayed in the column at a time. With this formula, for example, you'll see the text string "Red Yellow" in the cell instead of a red symbol and a yellow symbol.

• Christine Mick
    edited 01/17/17
    Options

That could get crazy with large dropdown lists. Prefer a solution that does not require I hard code the selections in the formula as I could potentially have 20-30 options to select from.

This discussion has been closed.