Export SS report/sheet via .csv?

Loann McGee
Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning,

I'm trying to find out how to export directly from Smartsheet to a .csv format. I found this article, but it seems to be out of date as I don't see the csv option (not to mention the location of where to access the export area is wrong) as you'll see in the link below.

This is a vital scenario needed for our metadata purposes.

Blessings,

Loann

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 07/29/20

Hi Loann,

The article linked in your post is in reference to 10,000ft, the Resource Management platform.

Please see this Smartsheet-specific article on Exporting a sheet, here: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/770623-exporting-sheets-reports-from-smartsheet

Sheets cannot currently be exported directly into a CSV type of file, as the Comments/Conversations are saved in a second tab in an Excel document which is not supported in CSV. You will want to first export to an Excel document, then from there you can re-save the file as a CSV file, selecting only the first tab (which will contain grid content, without any comments).

The Help Article I have listed above has more details on exporting and the different file types supported.

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, Genevieve...sure wish there was an option to not include the comments so .csv could be a viable option. This is so important for our metadata that needs input into a different program....just hoping to reduce the steps needed to get to a .csv.

I truly appreciate the input.

Blessings,

Loann

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi Loann,

Thanks for the additional information! It's good to know how you're using Smartsheet and what you require... if you have a moment, please fill out our Enhancement Request form to provide your feedback to our Product team directly about this.

Thanks,

Genevieve

• JimMcG
    JimMcG
    edited 05/11/22

was able to do this in the past using a 3rd party developed smarsheets-CLI that allowed us to export as CSV in order to synch data between smartsheets and our data warehouse. Now that this functionality is gone our use case for smartsheets is also gone.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @JimMcG

I hope you're well and safe!

Have you explored using the Premium App, Data Shuttle?

Is that an option?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MichaelTomar

Thank you for that input, but the issue is being able to automatically export from Smartsheet in .csv format for metadata purposes.