How do you apply the same conditional formating to multiple cells?

In excel I can create a formula in a cell, then create conditional formatting on that cell. For example, I can do a quick formula to compare to values. If the value is <0 apply a format that makes the cell red.

I can then cut and paste that cell into any other cell I want in a spreadsheet and it gets the formula and the conditional formatting.

I've attached a screen shot showing a smartsheet and the cells that would be shaded red in this example.

This spreadsheet has about 25 columns that need this rule applied to them, and each column has a dozen rows that have the need to be shaded.

How can this be accomplished in Smartsheet?

Best Answer

Answers

• Jennifer Whitlock
    Jennifer Whitlock ✭✭✭✭✭

Smartsheet has a Conditional Formatting button on the top toolbar:

If you use that function, you should be able to create rules of formatting for any number of cells or columns. You can select the range, criteria, and where to apply the formatting. That should solve your issues without a need for formulas.

Hope this helps!

• Sean O'Brien
    edited 08/03/20

I've tried that without success. I cannot find a way to apply the rule to the CELLS I want, not the columns or rows.

I don't want to change more than one cell based upon one condition. I want each cell to be evaluated based upon the same condition (contents<0) and then have the color for that one cell changed.

I should note that the formula has nothing to do with this issue, it just happens to be the cells I want to format also have formula in them. I can cut and paste the formula into other cells in the smartsheet without issue, but the conditional formatting doesn't transfer with the cut and paste.

• Jennifer Whitlock
    Jennifer Whitlock ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi again Sean,

If the criteria you're trying to set is, for example, that there is less than 0 Virtual Servers, you would open the conditional formatting box, select "Add New Rule" and set something like:

<set condition> = Servers - Virtual is less than 0

this format = highlighted in red

and change entire row to just the column containing the cells that should be highlighted.

You can then copy that rule and change the columns to include any other conditions you want to match.

Hopefully these screenshots help as well.

• Sean O'Brien
    edited 08/03/20

Well, I'm certain I did exactly this and it didn't work as expected but I will try it again.

So if I'm reading this correctly if I have 30 columns I'll need 30 rules?

• Sean O'Brien
    edited 08/03/20

And this seems to apply it to every single cell in the column, so ANY cell that is <0 gets formatted, not just the total row that I want.

• Jennifer Whitlock
    Jennifer Whitlock ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Sean,

If you want to add a condition to a rule, so that only the rows that you have shaded in dark purple in your screenshot will be formatted vs. all of the cells in a column, you can add a condition by clicking the drop down to the left of the rule.

This is the only method of conditional formatting that I am familiar with in Smartsheet. I'm sorry if I haven't been able to help solve this for you.

• Am I right in thinking I'll need a rule for every column I want this to apply to?