Form Automation

Hi,

Not sure if this can be done. I've created a form that I want to send to users.

1. Ideally, one person would fill in the name of the project, then through automation, send the form on for other users to continue filling out (with the project name already filled out).
  2. Or have the person fill the name in the form smartsheet, then send out the form for others to continue to fill out.

Ideally, I'm asking a series of questions on a certain project, and rather than have multiple lines of that project with names that are not the correct name, ensure that the project has the correct name already.

thanks

Jason

Tags:

Answers

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jason McGuire ,

how about using your form to start the sequence and then update request via workflows?

The form will create the row for your project. The update request can be triggered one after the other by a defined state of a cell in this row.

Hope this helps

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• Yes, but now i'm trying to have it pre-populate the one area of the form with the program name. Ideally, the PM will fill out the information in the form - then using automation, it goes to several different XF partners. They will get the URL with the program name filled in.

My original formula was: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/797a185f6ffb473da7bc76ee1ab617a3?Program{{Program}}

But then I saw this on here and thought I should change it to this to pre-fillout the name:

Any thoughts on how to do this correctly?

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jason McGuire,

maybe I misunderstood you, so let me clarify.

You have a sheet that you want to use to collect feedback about a program in various dropdown type columns.

Every row holds the data of one program.

The column "Program" holds the program name and should be filled in first by the PM.

So:

1) You create a form to be used by the PM to enter the program name and eventually other data.

2) When the form is submitted it creates a new row in your sheet with the provided data.

3) You have a workflow setup, that is triggered whenever a new row is added.

4) The workflow sends an email with a link to an update request form to a defined email address.

5) The recipient opens the link, sees only selected cells from the new row, enters the requested info and submits the update.

6) The cells in the new row get updated.

7) Another workflow for an update request can be triggered by the data entered in 6)

..... and so on until you have all the input needed.

Is that what you want to achieve?

Hope this helps

Stefan

• Hi Stefan,

thanks for answering so quickly. This is somewhat what we need. I think I was able to do what was needed using:

1. Created a Program URL column
    2. in this column created a forumula "="https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/797a185f6ffb473da7bc76ee1ab617a3?&Program="+SUBSTITUTE(Program1, " ", "%20", )"
    3. Which does in put into the form Program Name field. Which is perfect.

thanks for your help.

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Pleasure

Greetings

Stefan