MIN(CHILDREN()) Not Functioning As Expected

Sandra Guzman
Sandra Guzman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Smartsheet Community!

I am using the MIN(CHILDREN()) and MAX(CHILDREN()) formulas to determine dates that roll up to my parent row. In testing out the functionality it appears that the MIN formula is not pulling through the oldest date as I would expect it to.

Some background: I am currently using 6 date columns. The predecessors/duration is being used for my Planned Start/End date columns. The columns that I am trying to apply this to are the Actual Start/End dates columns that require the date to be manually entered. Both of the columns properties are set to "date."

In the below snapshot you can see that my oldest date in the Actual Start Date column should be 07/28/20 but that is not what is displayed in the orange cell.

I have tried deleting and re-entering the formula. It appears that My MAX formula is working just fine (knock on wood).

So I am hoping to learn if any of you have any idea as to why this might be happening and hopefully you can also provide me with a possible troubleshooting suggestion.

Thanks so much!

Best Answer

Answers

• John Jonassen
    John Jonassen ✭✭✭✭

The only thing I can think of is to look at your indenting, which your screenshot doesn't display. Is that 7/28/20 another Parent (no indent), a child (one indent, but we already know this is where it is hinky), or a descendant (more than one indent).

See how that plays out for you.

• Sandra Guzman
    Sandra Guzman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Paul and John,

Thank you both for your responses! Sorry for the delay but I was busy making adjustments and testing other functionality.

I do have other descendants in each phase of my project plan. I was primarily working out of the same test copy and for some reason it wasn't pulling the dates as expected. I did try deleting and clearing contents in the date cells. Anyway, I had to make additional edits to my project plan which resulted in my saving a new version. I just re-entered my dates and it is now working as expected!

Thanks again... now on to my next formula. 🙂

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com