"Current User" filter / Published Report / Calendar View in a Web Content Widget?

MCorbin
MCorbin Overachievers Alumni

I have create a PTO calendar from a sheet that contains the entire department's data.

I've got a report that filters on Current User - and displays in Calendar view. That part works.

I've published the report and added it to a Web Content Widget, but when I do that, everyone's seeing my data, not their own.

There's no "Advanced Options" for a Web Content Widget to allow me to tell it to filter based on current user.

Is there any way to work around this? I can get everything else on the dashboard (charts, reports, etc.) to display that user's view - just not the calendar :-(

Best Answer

Answers

• MCorbin

Right, but with a Report widget, I can't display the report in Calendar view :-(

Thanks! I was hoping someone had a solution I hadn't thought of......

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately you are correct. Feel free to Submit a Product Enhancement Request when you are able.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• MCorbin

I already have :-)

I'm working on the award for most enhancement requests submitted! haha!

• Jenna Bailey
    Jenna Bailey ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCorbin , what was your solve for this?

I have over 30+ users across 14 locations with a dashboard that shows 10-15 different reports which I now have to switch up because I published all my reports 🤦 I can't seem to get this right.

• MCorbin

A little background: The report is a PTO calendar - we enter PTO into a Sheet, but all teams submit to the same sheet, so I needed to display just the calendar entries for a particular team.

I was trying to use the "Current User" filter to pick up the team Supervisor (this was for a supervisor portal), but because the Published view does not use the current user filter, I created separate reports for each Supervisor. The report contains the team member's name, dates of the PTO, and a "sanitized" version of the PTO reason (They have a variety of reasons to pick from, such as regular PTO, sick, appointment, jury duty, etc - anything that could be "sensitive" gets lumped under "PTO" in the sanitized version, although the raw data contains the original reason)

The report is filtered by Team. So I had to create a dozen reports (1 for each team) and they are then published on that team's dashboard. This report is then published, in calendar view, and embedded on the dashboard.

**I'm trying to get to a place where I can create a "generic" dashboard that works for everyone and just pulls their specific data, but because of this limitation, I can't quite do it yet. I've requested enhancements to allow it**

• Jenna Bailey
    Jenna Bailey ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! Similar situation... I have also submitted an enhancement request so, fingers crossed!

• Earl Tessmer
    Earl Tessmer ✭✭✭✭

This sounds exactly like my problem and my application actually.

My only solution is to publish the sheet as view only. Default it to calendar view. The only solution is for the user to apply filters to the sheet. It works. But it is kind of clunky.

• Earl Tessmer
    Earl Tessmer ✭✭✭✭

Oh, part 2. The current user filter does NOT work on the published sheet )-:. Same problem as it doesn't understand who is logged in and looking at the dashboard.