Automation Condition Timing

tvetter
tvetter ✭✭✭
edited 09/03/20 in Smartsheet Basics

I've got a sheet that is essentially a list of tasks. The users complete a task, upload an attachment to the appropriate row, and mark the task complete on the row.

I have automation set up to send an alert (including the attachment) to certain people after the task is complete. The logic is based on the attachment (i.e. once an attachment is added, if "Completed" is not blank, send alert).

My question is this: how fast is that condition checked when the automation runs? Or I guess, how soon is the automation run after the attachment is added?

We've been testing it, and it seems to send the alert even if the "Completed" field is marked after the attachment is added (which is good for us).

I assume that if too much time elapses between the attachment and the field being marked complete, the condition will come back false and not send the alert, and I'm just looking to figure out how much cushion we should have.

I understand that it would be best to mark it complete, then upload the attachment, but I can't guarantee the users will always do that.

Answers

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni

If your conditions are both that the attachment was added AND that the box was marked complete, it should work no matter when the conditions are met, as long as you're automation rule is set for "When rows are added or changed" and not "when rows are added".

As long as that is checked, then Smartsheet is checking that the condition is met every time the sheet changes.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to provide a screenshot of the trigger and condition(s)?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• tvetter
    tvetter ✭✭✭
    edited 09/03/20

@David Tutwiler

The initial trigger is when rows are changed -> "When an attachment is added..."

Then the additional condition is applied (not as part of the trigger, because you can't have "and" logic in the initial trigger, only "or" logic). Keying off of the adding of the attachment is, I believe, the only way to have the attachment included in the email alert.

Thanks.

• tvetter
    tvetter ✭✭✭
    edited 09/03/20

@Paul Newcome

Sure, if it helps.

I'm comfortable with the logic, but I can't count on the users to mark the item complete before attaching 100% of the time.

In testing, often it will still send the alert, even if the attachment comes first (which is good), so there is clearly some lag between the adding of the attachment and the application of the condition (or the trigger, I'm not sure which is the delay point). I'm just wondering if the size of that delay/cushion is known.

Thanks much!

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni

I do not know of a stated buffer period. Sorry.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The big factor is going to be when the sheet is saved. If the attachment is added and the box is checked before saving, then it doesn't matter which order they were done it. The order of the steps being completed will only matter if your users are saving in between steps such as

attach/save/check box/save

or

check box/save/attach/save.

But if they are doing both before the save then the order doesn't matter.

check box/attach/save

is the same as

attach/check box/save

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• tvetter
    tvetter ✭✭✭

Got it - thanks. I think them saving between steps is unlikely. I only have to hope that they're fast enough that an autosave doesn't fall right in that window. (Though they should be checking complete first, anyway).

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Basically the trigger doesn't even get checked until the sheet is saved, so as long as the condition is met before the trigger action is saved, then you will be good to go. If you attach something and do not save, it does not count as a trigger. Not until you actually save the sheet.

10xViz.com

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I always forget about auto-save. I have had mine turned off since I started using Smartsheet. That could certainly produce some very unfortunate timing. Haha.

10xViz.com

• tvetter
    tvetter ✭✭✭

Maybe we'll ask our users to turn it off. Thanks a bunch.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

10xViz.com