Use a checkbox to toggle a formula that = the cell above.

I'm wanting to use a formula to populate a cell with the information in the cell above if the checkbox is selected.

=IF([Request Sign Off]5 = "1", =Address4, " ")

in this formula, Requested sign off is a checkbox, and Address 4 is the cell above.

Tags:

Best Answers

Answers

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jerry Alexander ,

try this:

=IF([Request Sign Off]5 = 1, Address4, "")

Hope this helps

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• Jerry Alexander
    Jerry Alexander ✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/07/20

Thanks @Stefan , but this is what I had first. it returns a #INVALID OPERATION

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/07/20

Hi @Jerry Alexander ,

hmm, it works in my sheet.

Sometimes Smartsheet seems to not like copied formulas. Would you mind typing the formula into your cell and check, that the parts of the formula are coloured?

Greetings

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• David Joyeuse
    David Joyeuse ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jerry Alexander

Try removing quotes around 1 in your formula. Quotes means text for smartsheet, while checkboxes requires numbers.

• Jerry Alexander
    Jerry Alexander ✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/07/20

@Stefan I'm wanting to copy what is in the row above to the row where the formula is. I did write out the formula, (rather than copy paste). if the check box is selected, I'm wanting the address 1615 Wheeler Unit D to copy down to the next row.

• Jerry Alexander
    Jerry Alexander ✭✭✭✭

@Stefan @David Joyeuse

I'm going to make an attempt to explain the use case, I hope I can do this so you can follow.

My end use case here is to be able to enter data (a list) into a sheet through a form without having to enter repetitive data (customer information). I figured out that I can have one form open another form when submitted, but from a data perspective, the customer information (form 1) and the list data (form 2) will not have the unique identifier to associate the customer row, with the list rows. If multiple customers submit, you dont have anything on the "list" that tells you what customer its linked to other than the order (created by).

the effort was to add a check box (default in the form) on the list entries. then the formula would copy the address for every entry and be broken when a new customer information form was submitted (with no checkbox). since smartsheet looks at the two previous rows to copy formulas, I was hoping this solution would work.

Thanks for the effort to this point guys

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!