Is there a way to use a global update to add a new report to previously provisioned projects?

Options
Lacey England
Lacey England ✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I have created a new report (and link to that report) in my control center blueprint that will be created for new projects. However, I need to have the report created for past projects. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this with a global update? I see how you can update a new report, but not create one.

Thanks.

Tags:

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Lacey England

Yes, you would want to use the Global Update feature to add in this new report to past projects:

When you run the update, Control Center looks at each project to find the report that matches your report template. It will then show you projects that don’t have a matching report, and you can add the new report to those projects when you run the update.

See the section under Apply Global Update in this Help Center article specific to Reports, here.

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Lacey England
    Options

Follow-up to the issue I was having adding a new report to existing projects: As of 9/2020 there is no good help article specifically addressing adding a new report in this way, only updating reports. This can be done though, and the problem I was having was related to a "cannot find target sheet" error. Turns out this was because the new report was not in the same folder as the target sheet. It was in a sub folder for reports in the blueprint. So I was able to make it work by moving the new report into the main folder with the existing target sheet. Easy fix. Hopefully Smartsheet will update the help articles to address this issue.

• StephenOKeefe
    Options

@Lacey Augustine @Genevieve P. - are you sure you were able to use Control Center to ADD new reports to past projects? I was told this is not possible and it doesn't appear to be one of the 5 Global Update options in Control Center.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @StephenOKeefe

Yes, you can use the Update Report option to push out a new report to existing projects, as long as this new report references sheets that already exist. 

Cheers,

Genevieve

• IPC
    IPC ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P.

Is the Global update available to a specific user license? I don't even have the control center in my menus but i am a licensed user.

Thanks in advance

IC

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @IPC

Control Center is an add-on that would need to be purchased in addition to the core Smartsheet application. Here's more information:

Global Updates is only specific to the projects created through Control Center - this is not available to licensed users working within the core application. Let me know if I can help clarify further!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Kayla Q
    Kayla Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P. I'm not seeing that this is possible.

I added the following reports to my Templates, each referencing the existing CRAID log template in this same folder:

I went into Control Center, Global Updates, and selected Update Reports.

On the next screen, I selected the appropriate blueprint. When I drop down the Select Template options, I only see the original reports, not the newly added ones:

Thoughts?

• Kayla Q
    Kayla Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P. I figured it out :)

I had to go back into Control Center to add the reports

Unfortunately, I'm running into an error when trying to do a global update:

It says "Error! Failed to get target sheet."

I realized this is because I had failed to specify the report - an easy step to miss!

Once you select "Choose Report," you can choose "Add a new report." Works like a charm!